Angular speed of a swinging rod

In summary, a nonuniform 2-0 kg rod with a length of 2.0 m and a moment of inertia of 4.0 kg.m2 is mounted to rotate freely around a horizontal axis. The center of mass is 1.2 m from the axis. When released from rest in the horizontal position, the rod will swing through the vertical position with an angular speed determined by the change in height of its center of mass, from 1.2 m to 2.0 m. Conservation of energy can be used to calculate this change in height and ultimately determine the angular speed of the rod.
chouZ

Homework Statement

A nonuniform 2-0 kg rod is 2.0 m long. The rod is mounted to rotate freely about a horizontal axis perpendicular to the rod that passes through one end of the rod. The moment of inertia of the rod about this axis is 4.0 kg.m2. The center of mass of the rod is 1.2 m from the axis. If the rod is released from rest in the horizontal position, what is its angular speed as it swings through the vertical position?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use conservation of energy but I am not really sure whether the height in the potential energy initially is the distance from the center of mass to the rotational axis or the length of the rod...?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
In calculating the change in gravitational PE of the rod, what matters is the change in height of its center of mass.

still a lit bit confused...the change in height..how can u calculate it? I mean I thought about it: the height h between the position of the center of mass initially and its position at the final moment...but i can find a way to find the answer...

Think it through. When the rod is horizontal, where is its center of mass? What about when it swings down to be vertical? Draw yourself a picture and figure out the change in height.

got it...thanks for the help!

FAQ: Angular speed of a swinging rod

1. What is the definition of angular speed?

The angular speed of a swinging rod is the rate at which the rod rotates around a fixed point, measured in radians per unit of time.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed measures the rate at which an object rotates, while linear speed measures the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per unit of time, while linear speed is measured in distance per unit of time.

3. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes to complete the rotation. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of the circular motion.

4. What factors affect the angular speed of a swinging rod?

The angular speed of a swinging rod is affected by the length of the rod, the mass of the rod, and the force applied to the rod (such as gravity or a person pushing on it). It also depends on the initial angle of the rod and the point of rotation.

5. Can the angular speed of a swinging rod change?

Yes, the angular speed of a swinging rod can change if there is a change in any of the factors that affect it, such as the length of the rod or the force applied to it. It can also change if the point of rotation is moved or if there is a change in the initial angle of the rod.