Angular Speed of a swinging stick

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of answering a question about calculating the angular and linear speed of a pivoted stick. The equation initially thought to be applicable, (ω_f)^2 = (ω_i)^2 + 2α Δθ, is found to be incorrect and the concept of conservation of energy is suggested as a hint for finding the correct approach.
snowmx0090
I having trouble answering this one. I already had to calculate the change in potential energy but am now stuck.

A stick with a mass of 0.168 and a length of 1.00 is pivoted about one end so it can rotate without friction about a horizontal axis. The meter stick is held in a horizontal position and released.
1) As it swings through the vertical, calculate the angular speed of the stick.

I thought I could answer this by using the equation:
(ω_f)^2 = (ω_i)^2 + 2α Δθ
This does not work and I don't know where to go from here.

2) As it swings through the vertical, calculate the linear speed of the end of the stick opposite the axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a picture yet, or are you just guessing that the equation will work? Make a free body diagram, and examine all the forces throughout the equation. This is really just a pendulum. How long do you think it would take the pendulum to go to the other side, and then back again? What do you suppose its period is?

snowmx0090 said:
1) As it swings through the vertical, calculate the angular speed of the stick.

I thought I could answer this by using the equation:
(ω_f)^2 = (ω_i)^2 + 2α Δθ
This does not work and I don't know where to go from here.
That equation assumes constant acceleration, which is not the case here. Hint: Consider conservation of energy.

FAQ: Angular Speed of a swinging stick

1. What is the definition of angular speed in the context of a swinging stick?

Angular speed refers to the rate at which the swinging stick rotates around its axis. It is measured in radians per second and is influenced by the length and mass of the stick, as well as the force and angle of the swing.

2. How is angular speed related to angular velocity?

Angular speed and angular velocity are closely related concepts. Angular velocity refers to the change in angular position of the swinging stick over time, while angular speed is the magnitude of this change. In other words, angular speed is the absolute value of angular velocity.

3. Can the angular speed of a swinging stick change over time?

Yes, the angular speed of a swinging stick can change over time. This can happen due to external factors such as changes in force or angle of the swing, as well as internal factors such as air resistance and friction.

4. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are different because they measure different types of motion. Angular speed measures the rate of rotation around an axis, while linear speed measures the rate of change in position along a straight line. They can be related through the formula v = rω, where v is linear speed, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and ω is angular speed.

5. How does the length of the swinging stick affect its angular speed?

The length of the swinging stick can affect its angular speed in two ways. First, a longer stick will have a larger rotational inertia and therefore require more force to swing at the same angular speed as a shorter stick. Second, a longer stick will have a larger distance from the axis of rotation, which can increase its linear speed according to the formula v = rω. Therefore, a longer stick may have a higher angular speed than a shorter stick under the same conditions.