Angular Velocity/Motion Question

• Thread starter Victorzaroni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, a bead with mass m is on a frictionless ring of radius R=.5 meters rotating at angular velocity ω=6 rad/sec. The question is asking for the angle θ with the vertical that the bead will make. The answer choices are (A) 90, (B) 61, (C) 56, (D) 34, and (E) 29. The figure provided shows an Fc pointing in and an mg pointing down. The solution involves using the free body diagram and taking the components of the normal reaction to solve for v using the equation v=rw. The radius r is the radius of the motion of the particle, not the ring. The value of d can be
Victorzaroni

Homework Statement

A bead of mass m is free to slide along a frictionless ring of radius R=.5 meters that rotates about the vertical axis with angular velocity ω=6 rad/sec as shown below. What angle θ with the vertical will the bead make?

The answer choices are:
(A) 90
(B) 61
(C) 56
(D) 34
(E) 29

This is from the Physics C Mechanics: Sample Exam III.

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 628
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to make Free body diagram , with all the forces

Okay, I did. I have an Fc pointing in, and an mg pointing down, but I'm still not seeing it.

see there will mg (weight )going downward and a normal reaction ,
then you take components of Normal reaction and solve :D

Here is the figure

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 792
ohh. okay. so we can use wr=v, and when Fn is mg, that way when we set up, the masses cancel, and we can solve for v. Thanks!

but remember in v=rw r is the radius of the motion of particle not the ring :O

oh. that's the d in your diagram. So the two radii are different. So how do I get this d?

simple trigo rsin(theta)= d

but we don't have ø?

I tried working it out multiple times, but no matter how I do it, with your d or without it, the fraction at the end never falls in the domain for the sin-1. Can you write out what you would do? Thanks for all your help so far, in my other posts too.

Oh wait a minute, I think I got it. Perhaps d=rcosø? If so, then at the end, tan-1((w2r)/g)=ø=61, choice B.

Yea , good going :)

Related to Angular Velocity/Motion Question

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement, or how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis.

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the angular displacement (in radians) by the time it takes to complete that displacement. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s).

What factors affect angular velocity?

The factors that affect angular velocity include the radius of the rotation, the speed of the rotation, and the mass of the object. Other factors may include external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is a measure of the rate of change of linear displacement. In other words, angular velocity measures how quickly an object is rotating, while linear velocity measures how quickly an object is moving in a straight line.

How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related by the equation ω = αt + ω0, where ω is the final angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, t is the time, and ω0 is the initial angular velocity. This equation shows that the angular velocity at any given time is equal to the initial angular velocity plus the change in angular velocity caused by angular acceleration over a certain period of time.