Angular Velocity of Ice Skater Around a Pole

In summary, an ice skater of mass 70kg initially traveling at a speed of 4 m/s hangs onto a vertical pole while passing it, pulling himself into a circular path of radius 0.8m around the pole. Assuming no torques act during this maneuver, his final angular velocity around the pole is 3.64 rad/s, calculated using the formula I = Icm + Md^2 and mvr = Iω.
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

An Ice skater of mass m = 70kg is initially traveling at a speed v = 4 m/s along a straight path that brings his center of mass to within a distance b = .6m of a vertical pole fixed in the ice. He reaches out with his hand as he passes the pole and hangs on so that he pulls himself into a circular path of radius r = .8m (measured from the axis of rotation to his center of mass) around the pole. If the skater's moment of inertia about his center of mass is I = 1.40 kgm2 , what is his final angular velocity ω about the pole, assuming that no torques act during this maneuver?

Homework Equations

Li = Lf
Iiωi = Ifωf
or maybe...
L = mvr = Iω
or possibly...
mviri = mvfrf

or if energy is conserved...
.5mv2 = .5Iω2

I'm mostly confused about which formula to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

mvri = Iω
(70)(4)(.6) = (1.4)ω
ω = 120 rad/s
But I thought that this was a relatively unreasonable speed for the skater to be going, so I tried this...

.5(70)(4)2 = .5(1.4)ω2
ω = 28.3 rad/s

But I don't think energy is conserved, so I also tried this...

mvr = mvr
(70)(4)(.6) = (70)(v)(.8)
v = 2.14 m/s
v=ωr
3 = ω(.8)
ω = 3.75 rad/s

This seemed reasonable to me, but I didn't use the moment of inertia, and I have nothing to check my work against. How do I know which formula is the correct one to use in this situation?

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Gwozdzilla said:
mvri = Iω
(70)(4)(.6) = (1.4)ω
That I is the MoI about the skater's centre of mass, but the rotation is about the pole. How do you correct for that?

I = Icm + Md2
I = (1.4) + (70)(.8)2
I = 46.2 kgm2

mvr = Iω

(70)(4)(.6) = (46.2)ω
3.64 rad/s = ω

Would this be the correct answer?

Gwozdzilla said:
I = Icm + Md2
I = (1.4) + (70)(.8)2
I = 46.2 kgm2

mvr = Iω

(70)(4)(.6) = (46.2)ω
3.64 rad/s = ω

Would this be the correct answer?
Looks right to me.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider which formula to use in a given situation. In this case, we are dealing with angular velocity, which is the rate of change of angular displacement. Therefore, we can use the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

In this problem, we are given the initial angular velocity (zero), the moment of inertia, and the final angular velocity (what we are looking for). Therefore, we can use the formula Iiωi = Ifωf, where Ii and ωi represent the initial values and If and ωf represent the final values.

Plugging in the values, we get:

(1.40 kgm2)(0 rad/s) = (1.40 kgm2)(ωf)
ωf = 0 rad/s

This means that the skater's final angular velocity around the pole is zero, which makes sense because the skater is no longer rotating around the pole once he grabs onto it.

It is also important to note that the skater's initial angular momentum (L = Iiωi) is equal to his final angular momentum (L = Ifωf) since no external torques act on the system. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum.

In summary, the correct formula to use in this situation is Iiωi = Ifωf, and the skater's final angular velocity around the pole is 0 rad/s. I hope this helps clarify the confusion and demonstrates the importance of carefully selecting the appropriate formula in scientific problem-solving.

Related to Angular Velocity of Ice Skater Around a Pole

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point, such as a pole.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

The formula for angular velocity is angular displacement divided by time. It is typically measured in radians per second.

3. How does an ice skater's angular velocity change when they are spinning around a pole?

As an ice skater pulls their arms in closer to their body while spinning, they decrease their moment of inertia and therefore increase their angular velocity.

4. What factors can affect an ice skater's angular velocity around a pole?

The primary factor that affects an ice skater's angular velocity is their moment of inertia, which is determined by their body shape and mass distribution. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

5. How does angular velocity impact an ice skater's stability while spinning around a pole?

The faster an ice skater's angular velocity, the more stable they will be while spinning. This is because a higher angular velocity means a greater centripetal force, which helps to keep the skater balanced and prevents them from falling off their axis of rotation.