Angular velocity when mass is added at center of rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of dropping mass onto a person who is spinning on a chair. It is concluded that the spin rate of the person will not change, as the mass has angular momentum when it drops onto the person's lap. The relevant equations are also mentioned, particularly the conservation of angular momentum and the equation for moment of inertia. It is also noted that the shape and size of the dropped mass can affect the amount of change in spin rate.
wootman23

Homework Statement

A guy is spinning on a chair with his hands at rest on his lap. As he is spinning, a large mass drops into his hands/lap. Does the guy continue spinning at the same rate, a slower rate, or a faster rate?
This video demonstrates what happens when the guy drops mass:
http://media.pearsoncmg.com/aw/aw_0media_physics/vtd/video20.html

Please do not answer the question for me, but help me understand the problem and relevant equations.

Homework Equations

L = Iω = m(r^2)ω -----I think this this is the equation I need...

The Attempt at a Solution

If mass is added, shouldn't ω decrease due to the conservation of angular momentum?
But I did a quick experiment with my brother and I didn't seem to slow down...

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular momentum is not just a question of moving mass - the mass has to have some angular inertia (moment of inertia) to be interesting. Yes, if the mass is not already spinning, when dropped into your lap it will slow your spin, but it might not be that obvious. If the mass is narrow (a small heavy lump, or a tall pole) and drops into your lap at your axis of spin then it will have very little moment of inertia about that axis, so won't require much angular momentum to bring it up to your spin rate.
Dropping mass, as in the video, is rather different. The bags did not drop straight down; each flew off tangentially. This means they still had angular momentum about his axis. So in this case it does not matter how much moment the bags had about the axis, his spin rate will not change.

Ohhh so since the long, heavy bean bag isn't spinning as its dropped onto the guy's lap, it will will require some angular inertia to get it to spin...and to do this, it "steals" some angular speed from the guy which causes him to slow down? Do I have that right?

haruspex said:
Angular momentum is not just a question of moving mass - the mass has to have some angular inertia (moment of inertia) to be interesting. Yes, if the mass is not already spinning, when dropped into your lap it will slow your spin, but it might not be that obvious. If the mass is narrow (a small heavy lump, or a tall pole) and drops into your lap at your axis of spin then it will have very little moment of inertia about that axis, so won't require much angular momentum to bring it up to your spin rate.
Dropping mass, as in the video, is rather different. The bags did not drop straight down; each flew off tangentially. This means they still had angular momentum about his axis. So in this case it does not matter how much moment the bags had about the axis, his spin rate will not change.

Ohhh so since the long, heavy bean bag isn't spinning as its dropped onto the guy's lap, it will will require some angular inertia to get it to spin...and to do this, it "steals" some angular speed from the guy which causes him to slow down? Do I have that right?

wootman23 said:

Yes.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Yes.

Yup, you were right! Thank you for the explanation and confirmation!

Related to Angular velocity when mass is added at center of rotation

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point, also known as the center of rotation. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How does adding mass at the center of rotation affect angular velocity?

Adding mass at the center of rotation does not affect angular velocity. This is because angular velocity depends on the distance of the mass from the center of rotation, not the mass itself.

What happens to angular velocity when mass is added at a distance from the center of rotation?

When mass is added at a distance from the center of rotation, the angular velocity decreases. This is because the added mass increases the moment of inertia, making it more difficult for the object to rotate at the same speed.

Is angular velocity affected by the direction of rotation?

No, angular velocity is not affected by the direction of rotation. It only depends on the speed and distance of the object from the center of rotation.

Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of its initial rotation, or counterclockwise. Positive angular velocity indicates a clockwise rotation.