Annihilator method of undetermined coefficients.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a particular solution to a differential equation using the annihilator approach of the method of undetermined coefficients. The steps involved include finding the annihilator, the fundamental set of corresponding homogeneous equation, the fundamental set of the annihilated equation, and subtracting the two to obtain the particular solution. The final step is to plug in the particular solution and solve for the coefficients. The conversation also mentions using matrix transformations to simplify the process.
Hercuflea

Homework Statement

I found everything except step #5. Please tell me if I am correct

Find a particular solution to

(D - 1)(D[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 4D - 12)y = cos(t)

using the annihilator approach of the method of undetermined coefficients.

Homework Equations

1) Find annihilator
2) Find A = fundamental set of corresponding homogeneous equation
3) Find B= fundamental set of the annihilated equation.
4) B-A = y[itex]_{p}[/itex]
5) Plug in y[itex]_{p}[/itex] to find the coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am going to skip typing my work for Steps 1-4, because it would take an insane amount of time.

1) D[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1 annihilates cos(t)

2) Set A = [e[itex]^{t}[/itex], e[itex]^{-6t}[/itex], e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]]
3) Set B = [e[itex]^{t}[/itex], e[itex]^{-6t}[/itex], e[itex]^{2t}[/itex], cos(t), sin(t)]
4) B-A = [cos(t), sin(t)]

So y[itex]_{p}[/itex] = c[itex]_{1}[/itex]cos(t) + c[itex]_{2}[/itex]sin(t)

5) Expanded equation:
(D[itex]^{3}[/itex]+3D[itex]^{2}[/itex]-16D+12)(c[itex]_{1}[/itex]cos(t) + c[itex]_{2}[/itex]sin(t)) = cos(t)

After fully expanding using FOIL,

9c[itex]_{1}[/itex] - 17 c[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 1
17c[itex]_{1}[/itex] + 9c[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0

I used matrix transformations to find
c[itex]_{1}[/itex] = [itex]9/370[/itex] and
c[itex]_{2}[/itex] = [itex]-17/370[/itex]

Am I correct? These solutions seem way too messy compared to what he has given us in the past. In class, he solved Step 5 without actually FOILing the equation, which I did not quite follow, but if I could figure it out it would be much easier than spending several minutes doing monotonous algebra. I know for a fact he will give us an equation like this (with cos(t) and sin(t)) on the final exam because he did the same for the normal test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way to check if it is correct is to plug the answer back into the equation and see if it works. To save you some time, I let Maple do the grunt work and your answer for ##y_p## is correct. Good work.

FAQ: Annihilator method of undetermined coefficients.

1. What is the Annihilator method of undetermined coefficients?

The Annihilator method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to solve non-homogeneous differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by using the operator that "annihilates" the non-homogeneous term of the equation.

2. When is the Annihilator method used?

The Annihilator method is used when solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It is particularly useful when the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

3. How does the Annihilator method work?

The Annihilator method involves finding the "annihilator" operator, which is the derivative operator that makes the non-homogeneous term equal to zero. This operator is then applied to both sides of the differential equation, reducing it to a homogeneous equation that can be solved using standard methods.

4. What are the advantages of using the Annihilator method?

The Annihilator method is advantageous because it can be used to find particular solutions for a wide range of non-homogeneous differential equations, without having to solve for the general solution. It is also often faster and more efficient than other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to the Annihilator method?

Yes, the Annihilator method can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It is also limited to finding particular solutions, so the general solution still needs to be obtained separately. Additionally, the method may not work for more complex non-homogeneous terms.