Annoying things in statistical mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses some questions and concerns about the Boltzmann distribution and the Fermi-Dirac statistics, specifically regarding the use of entropy and the energy of unoccupied states. The speaker wonders why entropy is used instead of the degeneracy function and how one can know that entropy varies slowly enough to accurately approximate probabilities. They also question the assumption of taking the energy of unoccupied states to be zero and whether it requires a deeper understanding of field theory.
Kcant
I've been refreshing myself on some of the statistical mechanics I learned a couple years ago, using Kittel and Kroemer as a guide. However, I've come across a couple things that bother me:

1. When the Boltzmann distribution is derived, no real physics enters the picture. Essentially, the Taylor expansion of the entropy function is used to find the relative probability that two states are occupied. But entropy is just the logarithm of the degeneracy function, so why not just Taylor-expand the degeneracy function itself? What makes entropy special? I know that the degeneracy function is generally a fast-varying function of energy, and that entropy varies much more smoothly, but how can you know this a priori? How do you know that entropy varies sufficiently slowly to accurately approximate probabilities, and that you don't need some higher-order logarithm?

2. When deriving the Fermi-Dirac statistics, why can the energy of an unoccupied state be taken to be zero? Don't you really need some kind of field theory to know that?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Entropy is defined as the logarithm of the multiplicity function specifically because it makes the math much easier to work with. If you wanted to, you could define the multiplicity function as entropy, and while the math would change, the physical results would be identical. So, it's basically a matter of convenience. Because the mapping between the multiplicity function and the logarithm of the multiplicity function is bijective, you aren't changing the physics any - just the ease of doing the math.

2. I don't know the answer to this question :( (I'm taking stat mech this semester and we haven't gotten to that yet)

I understand your frustrations with these concepts in statistical mechanics. It can be frustrating when certain assumptions or simplifications are made without a clear explanation or justification. However, it is important to keep in mind that statistical mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of large systems of particles, and as such, it relies on certain assumptions and approximations to make the calculations tractable.

In regards to your first point, the use of the Taylor expansion of the entropy function is a common approach in statistical mechanics, but it is not the only one. Some textbooks may choose to use the degeneracy function instead, and both approaches are valid. The choice of which function to use often depends on the context and the specific problem being solved. It is also worth noting that the degeneracy function and entropy function are mathematically related, so using one or the other will ultimately lead to the same results.

Furthermore, the assumption that entropy varies smoothly is often justified by experimental evidence. In most cases, the behavior of a system can be accurately described using the first-order term in the Taylor expansion, and higher-order terms do not significantly affect the results. This is why the first-order approximation is commonly used in statistical mechanics.

Regarding your second point, the assumption of an unoccupied state having zero energy is a simplification that is often made in the derivation of Fermi-Dirac statistics. While it may not be strictly accurate, it is a reasonable approximation in many cases and can lead to useful insights about the behavior of systems. In more complex situations, a field theory approach may be necessary, but for many systems, the assumption of zero energy for unoccupied states is a valid and useful simplification.

In conclusion, while it can be frustrating to encounter certain assumptions and simplifications in statistical mechanics, it is important to understand that they are often necessary for practical and mathematical reasons. As scientists, we must continually question and evaluate these assumptions, but also recognize their value in helping us understand and describe the behavior of complex systems.

Related to Annoying things in statistical mechanics

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of large systems of particles, such as molecules in a gas or atoms in a solid. It aims to understand how macroscopic properties, such as temperature and pressure, arise from the microscopic behavior of individual particles.

2. Why do we use statistical mechanics?

We use statistical mechanics to describe and predict the behavior of systems that are too complex to be analyzed using traditional methods. It allows us to make connections between the microscopic behavior of particles and the macroscopic properties of a system.

3. What are some annoying things in statistical mechanics?

Some common challenges in statistical mechanics include dealing with large numbers of particles, accounting for quantum effects, and finding accurate and efficient numerical methods for solving complex systems.

4. How does statistical mechanics relate to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics provides a microscopic interpretation of the laws of thermodynamics. It explains how macroscopic properties, such as temperature and entropy, arise from the behavior of individual particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is used in a wide range of fields, including chemistry, biology, and materials science. It is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as complex systems such as biological molecules and materials at the nanoscale.