Annular eclipse October 14, 2023

• B
  • Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I was near Reno, NV. Outside the path of "totality" but managed a couple of crummy photos. It was light overcast with the clouds moving pretty fast.

With a solar filter held in front of camera:
DSC_2575_crop.jpg

With #5 tint mask:
DSC_2579_small.jpg

Likes nsaspook, BillTre and FactChecker
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Too north, too rainy and too cloudy in this part of Oregon but I did see a slight dip in the mornings log data from the solar array.
1697317344150.png

Dropped out of the small morning solar energy production and the panels were in open circuit voltage monitor mode during the sun dip. The voltage spikes are the charge controller testing MPPT and finding almost no power.

Likes gmax137
I posted my pics in another thread. My pics were taken from just west of San Antonio, TX. Clouds parted just enough to see it!

chemisttree said:
I posted my pics in another thread. My pics were taken from just west of San Antonio, TX. Clouds parted just enough to see it!
Nice! we did not get the full annulus here. With the cloudy forecast, I didn't try driving northeast towards Elko; maybe I should have!

Related to Annular eclipse October 14, 2023

What is an annular eclipse?

An annular eclipse occurs when the Moon is directly between the Earth and the Sun, but the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun. This results in the Sun appearing as a bright ring, or annulus, surrounding the dark disk of the Moon.

Where will the annular eclipse on October 14, 2023, be visible?

The annular eclipse on October 14, 2023, will be visible across parts of North, Central, and South America. The path of annularity will cross the western United States, Central America, Colombia, and Brazil. Partial phases of the eclipse will be visible over a much larger area, including most of the Americas.

What time will the annular eclipse occur on October 14, 2023?

The exact timing of the annular eclipse will vary depending on your location along the path of annularity. In the United States, for example, the eclipse will begin in the late morning and continue into the early afternoon. It's important to check local sources for the precise timing in your area.

Is it safe to look at the annular eclipse with the naked eye?

No, it is not safe to look at an annular eclipse with the naked eye. The Sun's rays can cause serious eye damage. You should use special solar viewing glasses or a pinhole projector to safely observe the eclipse.

What equipment do I need to photograph the annular eclipse?

To photograph the annular eclipse, you will need a camera with a telephoto lens, a sturdy tripod, and a solar filter to protect your camera's sensor. It is crucial to use a solar filter designed for photography to avoid damaging your equipment and to capture clear images of the eclipse.

Back