Anomalous field dimension in the on-shell scheme

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the MS scheme in learning QFT and the use of the on-shell scheme in calculating the anomalous field dimension. It is mentioned that using the on-shell scheme results in a value of zero for \gamma_{\phi}, and the question is raised about the physical interpretation of this. The conversation also mentions the cases of \phi^3 and \phi^4 theory, and the difference in the one-loop correction for these theories.
aqualone
In learning QFT, I've found that the renormalization group is often introduced with the MS scheme. I noticed that if one uses the on-shell scheme instead and calculates the anomalous field dimension using
[itex]\gamma_{\phi} = \mu \frac{\partial \ln Z_{\phi}}{\partial \mu} [/itex]
one finds that [itex]\gamma_{\phi} = 0[/itex]. Is this correct or am I making a mistake? What is the physical interpretation?

I've found this to be the case for both [itex]\phi^3[/itex] and [itex]\phi^4[/itex] theory. I haven't learned QED or anything about QFTs in particle physics so I'm not sure how it plays out there.

I wasn't sure if this is the place to post, or the homework or high-energy section; if this is not the right place, apologies and please feel free to move this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
In massless [itex]\phi^4[/itex] theory in 4 dimensions,

[tex]
\gamma_{\phi} = O(g^2)
[/tex]

That is, there's no correction until 2-loop, so if you just do the one-loop calculation, you should get zero.

In massless [itex]\phi^3[/itex] theory in 6 dimensions (where the interaction is renormalizable), Srednicki does the calculation in his book and he does find a one-loop correction. (Note that the one-loop contribution is proportional to the square of the coupling still, unlike the phi4 case).

Related to Anomalous field dimension in the on-shell scheme

1. What is an anomalous field dimension in the on-shell scheme?

Anomalous field dimension in the on-shell scheme refers to the deviation of the field dimension from its expected value in a particular theoretical framework. This can occur due to the presence of higher-order corrections or non-renormalizable terms in the theory.

2. How does the anomalous field dimension affect calculations in the on-shell scheme?

The anomalous field dimension can lead to divergences in calculations and can affect the renormalization procedure in the on-shell scheme. It can also impact the physical predictions of the theory.

3. Can the anomalous field dimension be eliminated in the on-shell scheme?

No, the anomalous field dimension cannot be completely eliminated in the on-shell scheme. However, it can be minimized by choosing appropriate renormalization conditions and by including higher-order corrections.

4. Are there any experimental observations related to the anomalous field dimension?

Yes, there have been experimental observations of anomalous field dimension in certain physical systems, such as the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron. These observations have provided important insights into the structure of the underlying theories.

5. How does the on-shell scheme differ from other renormalization schemes in terms of dealing with anomalous field dimension?

The on-shell scheme differs from other renormalization schemes in that it directly imposes physical conditions on the renormalized parameters, such as on-shell conditions for particle masses. This can lead to simpler calculations and better physical interpretations, but can also lead to the appearance of anomalous field dimension.