Another energy fluence question work shown

In summary, the x-ray field at point P contains 7.5 x 10^8 photons/m^2-sec-keV, uniformly distributed from 10 to 100 keV. The photon flux density at P is 6.75 x 10^10 photons/m^2-sec. The photon fluence in one hour is 2.43 x 10^14 photons/m^2. The corresponding energy fluence in SI units is 2.14 J/m^2.
johnq2k7
An x-ray field at a point P contains 7.5 x 10^8 photons/m^2-sec-keV, uniformly distributed from 10 to 100 keV.

a.) What is the photon flux density at P?
b.) What would be the photon fluence in one hour?
c.) What is the corresponding energy fluence in SI units?

work shown:

a.) 7.5 x 10^8 photons/m^2-sec-keV x (100 keV- 10 keV)= 6.75 x 10^10 photons/m^2-sec
-this answer is correct
b.) 6.75 x 10^10 photons/m^2-sec * (3600 sec/1hr)= 2.43 x 10^14 photons/m^2
-this answer is correct

c.) i need help here,

7.5 x 10^8 photons/m^2-sec-keV x (3600 sec/ 1hr) *(100-10 keV)
= 2.43 x 10^14 photons/m^2 how do i convert to J/m^2 here

like basically I have to convert photons to Joules, but how do i do this?
the correct answer is apparently 2.14 J/m^2 but i can't get the answer

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to multiply the 2.43E14 photons/m^2 to the Expectation value of the photon energy, which is (0.100 MeV + 0.010 MeV)/2, then multiply that result to 1.602E-13 J/MeV. The answer is 2.14 J/m^2.

Related to Another energy fluence question work shown

1. What is energy fluence?

Energy fluence is a measure of the amount of energy that passes through a unit area of a surface. It is typically measured in joules per square meter (J/m^2).

2. How is energy fluence calculated?

Energy fluence is calculated by multiplying the energy density (joules per cubic meter) by the distance traveled by the energy (meters).

3. What factors can affect energy fluence?

The factors that can affect energy fluence include the type of energy, the distance traveled, the medium through which the energy passes, and any barriers or obstacles in the energy's path.

4. Why is energy fluence important in scientific research?

Energy fluence is important in scientific research because it helps us understand how much energy is being transferred and absorbed by materials or organisms. This can provide valuable information for various fields such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and material science.

5. How can energy fluence be measured?

Energy fluence can be measured using specialized instruments such as dosimeters or calorimeters. These instruments can detect and measure the amount of energy passing through a specific area.