Another Faradays Law of Magnetic Induction

In summary, the average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of the wire is 20.1 W. To find this, the correct equation for average induced emf was used, which is E = Blv. The average induced emf was calculated using this equation and then used to calculate the average electrical energy dissipated in the wire using the formula P=V^2/R.
spoonthrower
A piece of copper wire is formed into a single circular loop of radius 12 cm. A magnetic field is oriented parallel to the normal to the loop, and it increases from 0 to 0.55 T in a time of 0.45 s. The wire has a resistance per unit length of 3.3*10^-2 ohms/m. What is the average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of the wire

I know that P=V^2/R
So i need to find the voltage in the wire.

To find the voltage, can i just find the average induced emf or is this approach wrong??

If i use the equation: average induced emf=BA/T i get the wrong answer simply calculating the area from the radius of the circle .12^2*pi.

Please help! what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct equation for the average induced emf is: E = Blv, where B is the magnetic field, l is the length of the wire, and v is the velocity of the change in the flux. The area of the loop does not matter here. Therefore, the average induced emf can be calculated as: E = (0.55 T)(2*pi*12 cm)(0.45 s^-1) = 33.7 V.Now, we can calculate the average electrical energy dissipated as: P = (33.7 V)^2/(3.3 * 10^-2 ohms/m * 2*pi*12 cm) = 20.1 W.

I can say that your approach is incorrect. The equation you are using, average induced emf=BA/T, is for a single turn of wire. In this scenario, we have a circular loop of wire, which means we have multiple turns of wire. Therefore, we need to use the equation for the total induced emf, which is given by NBA/T, where N is the number of turns of wire.

In this case, N=1, so the equation becomes BA/T. Now, we can calculate the average induced emf by plugging in the values given in the problem: B=0.55 T, A=πr^2=π(0.12)^2=0.045 m^2, and T=0.45 s. This gives us an average induced emf of 0.82 V.

Now we can use the equation P=V^2/R to find the power dissipated in the resistance of the wire. Plugging in the values for V and R (remember, we are given the resistance per unit length, so we need to multiply it by the length of the wire), we get a power dissipation of 0.62 W.

Finally, to find the average electrical energy dissipated, we need to multiply the power by the time, so 0.62 W * 0.45 s = 0.279 J.

Therefore, the average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of the wire is 0.279 J. I hope this helps clarify your approach and the correct equations to use in this scenario.

Related to Another Faradays Law of Magnetic Induction

1. What is Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction?

Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction is a fundamental principle of electromagnetism that explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field. It states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, and vice versa.

2. What is "Another Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction"?

"Another Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction" refers to a modified version of Faraday's Law that takes into account the effects of magnetic materials, such as iron or steel, on the induced electric field. This modified law is also known as the "generalized form" of Faraday's Law.

3. How does "Another Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction" differ from the original law?

The original Faraday's Law only considers the effects of a changing magnetic field on an induced electric field, while "Another Faraday's Law" takes into account the presence of magnetic materials, which can alter the strength and direction of the induced electric field.

4. Can you give an example of "Another Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction" in action?

One example of "Another Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction" in action is the use of transformers in electrical power systems. Transformers use magnetic materials to induce an electric field in a secondary coil, which can then be used to step up or step down the voltage of an electrical current.

5. How is "Another Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction" used in scientific research?

"Another Faraday's Law of Magnetic Induction" is used in many scientific fields, such as materials science, electromagnetism, and electronics. It helps researchers understand the behavior of magnetic materials and how they can be used to manipulate electric fields. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as magnetic sensors and generators.