Another index notation question hopefully pretty easy

In summary, the conversation discusses the index notation expression of r_j r_i p_j and how it relates to the desired expression of \vec{r} (\vec{r} \cdot \vec{p}). It is mentioned that the position and momentum vectors are commutative, allowing for the possibility of commuting r_i and r_j. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of the ease of using the commutative property in quantum operator calculations.
AxiomOfChoice
How do I make sense of the index notation expression

[tex]
r_j r_i p_j
[/tex]

?

What I really *want* it to be is

[tex]
\vec{r} (\vec{r} \cdot \vec{p})
[/tex]

And it turns into this, as long as I can commute the [itex]r_i[/tex] and [itex]r_j[/itex]...right?

(By the way, here [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is just the position vector and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] is the momentum vector.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, those are simply coordinates, i.e. numbers, so they are commutative, aren't they?

Yes, you can commute them just fine. I know how you feel, after doing a lot of quantum operator calculations it feels like such a breeze to have the commutative property!

Thanks guys! Yes, this is actually something that's come up in trying to solve a quantum problem. And yeah...I've done enough of these to where I pretty much don't believe anything commutes anymore :(

Related to Another index notation question hopefully pretty easy

1. What is index notation?

Index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent vectors, matrices, and tensors. It uses subscripts or superscripts to label the elements of these objects.

2. How is index notation used in physics?

Index notation is commonly used in physics to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. It allows for concise and efficient representation of complex equations and calculations.

3. What is the purpose of index notation?

The purpose of index notation is to simplify and generalize mathematical expressions involving vectors, matrices, and tensors. It also allows for easier manipulation and transformation of these objects.

4. Can you give an example of index notation?

One example of index notation is the representation of a vector v with components vx, vy, and vz as vi, where i represents the index of the component (1 for x, 2 for y, 3 for z).

5. How does index notation differ from standard notation?

In standard notation, vectors, matrices, and tensors are represented using parentheses or brackets. In index notation, these objects are represented using subscripts or superscripts. Index notation also allows for a more compact representation of these objects.