Another Laplace Transform problem, need region of convergence help

In summary, the homework statement states that find L[x(t)], where x(t) is the function tu(t) + 3e^{-1}u(-t). Also determine the region of convergence.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Find L[x(t)], where $$ x(t) = tu(t) + 3e^{-1}u(-t) $$

Also determine the region of convergence

Homework Equations

Laplace properties, Laplace table:

L[te-at = 1/(s+a)2

L[u(t)] = 1/s

L[t] = 1/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what to do with this as my table doesn't give the product of these two.

Do you just combine them like this?:

tu(t) ---> (1/s)(1/s2)

3e-3u(-t) ---> wait...

I don't even know if my table says anything about a transform for u(-t), could it be -1/s?

I was going to do this and then add them to each other. Also need help with RoC

Physics news on Phys.org
tu(t) ---> (1/s)(1/s2)
No. You make use of this rule:

L t.f(t) = -F'(s)

so if you have a function f(t) whose Laplace transform you know to be F(s)
then multiplying that function by t results in a Laplace transform which can be calculated by you as the derivative of F(s) multiplied by -1

F'(s) means the derivative of F(s). So you need to know how to differentiate F(s) with respect to s.

Last edited:
Check that e-1
If it's really e-1 then that's just a constant, it's a number.

I don't know anything about u(-t)

Paging rude man ☎ ...

Yeah that was actually -t and I read it too fast.

Find L[x(t)], where $$ x(t) = tu(t) + 3e^{-t}u(-t) $$

Also determine the region of convergence
NascentOxygen said:
No. You make use of this rule:

L t.f(t) = -F'(s)

so if you have a function f(t) whose Laplace transform you know to be F(s)
then multiplying that function by t results in a Laplace transform which can be calculated by you as the derivative of F(s) multiplied by -1

F'(s) means the derivative of F(s). So you need to know how to differentiate F(s) with respect to s.
So since I'm converting it to s-domain does that mean I integrate it instead (so it becomes F(s) now)?

Color_of_Cyan said:
So since I'm converting it to s-domain does that mean I integrate it instead (so it becomes F(s) now)?
No. You start with F(s) and by differentiating F(s) you're calculating F'(s) which is what you need.

Ok for that the derivative is tδ(t) + u(t)? And that's it at least for that right? Still not sure what RoC is

We're looking at only the t.u(t) term right now.

What is the Laplace Transform of u(t)?

Last edited:
This is a math problem more than an engineering problem. The usual application of the Laplace transform is to solve a linear differential equation with constant coefficients and with given initial conditions.

This problem on the other hand is purely math and probably purely useless, but here goes:

The mathematically correct Laplace transform is L{f(t)} = integral from -∞ to +∞ of f(t)exp(-st)dt.
In the real problems to which I referred, the transform is integral from 0 to +∞ of the same integrand.
Thus, taking your expression, the fact that it includes a u(-t) forces you to integrate from -∞ rather than zero.
In other words, and we've gone thru all this before, pick you limits to accord with the u function's argument.

As to convergence, look at the given time function. The region of convergence is simply the region where the time function does not blow up to ∞. The "region" is the region in the complex s plane, with x-axis = σ = Re{s} and y-axis = Im{s} = jw.

Example:
f(t) = exp(-at) u(t)
F(s) = integral fro 0 to infinity of exp(-at)exp(-st)dt
= integral from 0 to infinity of exp[-(s+a)t]dt
= (-1/(s+a)[exp(-(s+a)t evaluated from t=0 to infinity.

Now, you can see that, since 0<t<∞, the expression (s+a) must be positive or you get infinity for evaluating the integral between its limits.
But s = σ + jw
So σ must be > -a
and the region of convergence is the region to the right of σ = -a in the s plane, sine there σ> -a.

The u(t) term is handled similarly.

Look at the attached for more info.

Attachments

• laplace transform.pdf
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,333

Related to Another Laplace Transform problem, need region of convergence help

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. What is the region of convergence in a Laplace Transform?

The region of convergence is the set of values for which the Laplace Transform converges. In other words, it is the set of complex numbers for which the integral used to calculate the transform has a finite value.

3. How do I determine the region of convergence for a Laplace Transform?

The region of convergence can be determined by finding the poles and zeros of the function in the complex plane. The region of convergence is the area between the outermost poles and zeros in the complex plane.

4. Why is the region of convergence important in Laplace Transforms?

The region of convergence is important because it determines the validity and usefulness of the Laplace Transform. If the region of convergence is too small, the transform may not accurately represent the original function.

5. Can the region of convergence change for a given Laplace Transform?

Yes, the region of convergence can change depending on the function being transformed. For example, if a function has a pole on the boundary of the region of convergence, then the region of convergence will change when that pole is removed from the function.