Another LaTeX formatting question

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of the small and hard-to-read exponential part in the equation for k_1. The individual suggests using the notation k_1 = exp(x) instead of k_1 = e^(x) to make it easier to follow, but acknowledges that it may not always be practical. They also mention that increasing the font size helps, but it can become difficult to read. The conversation concludes with some possible solutions, such as using \scriptstyle or \frac to force the numerator and denominator to be in the same size.
Borek
Mentor
So I was answering in a thread here and what I got was ugly:

[tex]k_1 = e^{\frac {E_a} {RT_1}}[/tex]

What I don't like is that the exponential part is so small it is barely readable (checked in Opera, Firefox, IE and Chrome). I can write it as

[tex]k_1 = exp\left({\frac {E_a} {RT_1}}\right)[/tex]

and it definitely looks better, but sometimes I feel like writing ex instead of exp(x) makes the equation easier to follow - at least for me it is easier to see and group exponents when they are all in superscript position.

Is there a way of making the exponential part larger?

For example OpenOffice formats it as

attachment.php?attachmentid=50754&stc=1&d=1347533407.png

Still not perfect, but closer to what I am thinking about.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    454 bytes · Views: 671
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\large k_1 = e^{\frac {E_a} {RT_1}}[/tex]

[tex]\LARGE k_1 = e^{\frac {E_a} {RT_1}}[/tex]

Increasing the size helps sometimes although it probably isn't too practical.

EDIT:

This here doesn't look too bad [tex]k_1 = e^{\LARGE\frac {E_a} {RT_1}}[/tex]

[tex]x^{x}[/tex]
Note how the superscript x is in a smaller font, that dictated by \scriptstyle.

[tex]a^{a^a}[/tex]
Now note how the font sizes get progressively smaller. The font size goes from that dictated by \displaystyle to \scriptstyle to \scriptscriptsyle (which is where things stop).

[tex]e^{\frac{E_a}{RT_1}}[/tex]
That "getting progressively smaller" is what is happening here. Both the superscript and \frac act to reduce the font by one level. The end result is that Ea and RT1 are in that tiny \scriptscriptsyle font.

One way to overcome this is to force the numerator and denominator to be in the size dictated by \scriptstyle:
[tex]e^{\frac{\scriptstyle E_a}{\scriptstyle RT_1}}[/tex]

Alternatively, just don't use the fractional form:
[tex]e^{E_a/(RT_1)}[/tex]

With some abuse of notation,
[tex]e^{E_a/RT_1}[/tex]

No idea which one I will use, but it is nice to have some options to select from.

Thank you for bringing this formatting issue to our attention. I understand the importance of clear and easily readable equations. In this case, I would recommend using the math formatting commands in LaTeX to adjust the size of the exponential part. For example, you can use \displaystyle to make the exponent larger and more prominent. Additionally, you can use \textstyle or \scriptstyle to adjust the size of the exponent according to your preference. I also suggest using parentheses or brackets to group the exponent and make it more visually clear. For example, you can write the equation as:

k_1 = e^{\left(\frac {E_a} {RT_1}\right)}

This will make the exponential part more visible and easier to read. I hope this helps and please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns regarding LaTeX formatting.

Related to Another LaTeX formatting question

1. What is LaTeX formatting?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and technology. It allows for precise control over the layout and formatting of text and equations.

2. How do I use LaTeX to format my document?

To use LaTeX, you will need to first install a LaTeX distribution, such as TeX Live or MiKTeX. Then, you can create your document using a text editor and compile it using a LaTeX compiler. There are also various online tools and templates available for creating LaTeX documents.

3. What are the advantages of using LaTeX over other word processing software?

LaTeX offers many advantages, including its ability to produce professional-looking documents with consistent formatting, its support for complex mathematical equations and symbols, and its open-source nature allowing for easy collaboration and sharing of documents.

4. Can I use LaTeX to create presentations or other types of documents?

While LaTeX is primarily used for creating academic and scientific documents, it can also be used for creating presentations, posters, and other types of documents. There are packages and templates available specifically for these purposes.

5. Is LaTeX difficult to learn?

Like any new software, there is a learning curve when using LaTeX. However, with practice and the help of online resources and tutorials, it is possible to become proficient in using LaTeX for document formatting. Once familiar with the basics, many find LaTeX to be a powerful and efficient tool for creating documents.