Another maxwell bolltzman problem

• Thread starter AStaunton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maxwell
In summary, the maximum value for v_peak can be found by setting the derivative of the Maxwell-Boltzmann equation equal to 0 and solving for v. However, in the process, there was an error in dividing out a constant expression and taking the natural log, resulting in an extra minus sign in the final answer. Additionally, dividing out a different constant expression does not lead to the desired v_peak expression. The issue was found to be in writing 2kT instead of 2kT/m at certain points in the calculations.
AStaunton
want to show v_peak=sqrt(2kT/m):

the point here is that have a maximum when df/dv=0

max-boltz equation again is:

[tex]f(v)=4\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi mkT})^{\frac{3}{2}}v{}^{2}e^{-\frac{mv^{2}}{2kT}}[/tex]

and taking derivitive and setting=0 and then dividing out any constant expressions gives:

[tex]\frac{df}{dv}=(2v)e^{-mv^{2}/2kT}-(2kT)e^{-mv^{2}/2kT}=0\implies e^{-mv^{2}/2kT}(2v-2kT)=0[/tex]

I then divided out the (2v-2kT) term and took natural log of both sides:

[tex]-\frac{mv^{2}}{2kT}=1\implies v=\sqrt{\frac{-2kT}{m}}[/tex]

clearly the minus sign should not be in there...besides that the answer is correct...can someone please tell me how I ended with an extra minus sign within the squareroot?ie.what mistake did I make do produce a minus sign along the way...

Another question about the above is:
I divided out the (2v-2kT/m) term and then proceeded to take logs and so on...however since this term also contains a v, I expected that I should if I wanted be able to divide out the exponential term instead, leaving me with:

[tex]2v-2kT/m=0[/tex]

and again solving this equation for v should give me another way to find v_peak, however from this equation v=kT/m which is not the v_peak expression I wanted...can someone tell me why this is so?

Physics news on Phys.org
****error update****

at some points I wrote 2kT where I should have written 2kT/m

FAQ: Another maxwell bolltzman problem

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and how is it related to the "Another Maxwell-Boltzmann problem"?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. The "Another Maxwell-Boltzmann problem" is a specific scenario in which we are asked to calculate the average speed of particles in a gas at a given temperature.

2. What is the formula for the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The formula for the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is: f(v) = (m/(2πkT))^(3/2) * 4πv^2 * e^(-mv^2/2kT), where m is the mass of the particle, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and v is the velocity of the particle.

3. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution affected by changes in temperature?

As temperature increases, the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution shifts to the right, meaning that there is a higher proportion of particles with higher speeds. This is because as temperature increases, the particles have more kinetic energy and move faster.

4. How do you solve the "Another Maxwell-Boltzmann problem"?

To solve the "Another Maxwell-Boltzmann problem", you need to use the formula for the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and integrate it over a range of speeds. This will give you the average speed of the particles in the gas at the given temperature.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution has many applications in physics and chemistry, such as in gas laws and the study of diffusion. It is also used in engineering and materials science to understand the behavior of particles in different systems. Additionally, it is used in the development of new technologies, such as in the design of gas turbines and rocket engines.