Another negative one equals one proof

So be careful.In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving complex numbers and the mistake of dropping exponents without considering the properties of complex numbers. The conversation also mentions the need to be cautious when working with negative numbers.
Ajgrinds
Hey guys! I need help proving why this proof is wrong. I know it's wrong, but I can't figure out why. Anyway:
i = sqrt -1
i^4 = 1
1^4 = 1
Substution: i^4 =1^4
i = 1
1 = sqrt -1
1^2 = -1
1 = 1^2
1= -1

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ajgrinds said:
Substution: i^4 =1^4
i = 1
That step is not valid. Just dropping exponents doesn't even work for real numbers.

-1^2 = 1^2 therefore -1 = 1. Same idea. Do you see where this fails? No need to drag i into it.

Vanadium 50 said:
-1^2 = 1^2 therefore -1 = 1. Same idea. Do you see where this fails? No need to drag i into it.
Yeah, thanks

mfb said:
That step is not valid. Just dropping exponents doesn't even work for real numbers.
4rt them both...

Ajgrinds said:
4rt them both...
##(-1)^4 = 1^4##, but obviously ##-1 \neq 1##.
This is the one-step version of post 1.

Vanadium 50 said:
-1^2 = 1^2 therefore -1 = 1.
But -1^2 ≠ 1^2, as I'm sure you know...

However, (-1)^2 does equal 1^2.

Related to Another negative one equals one proof

1. What is the concept of "Another negative one equals one proof"?

The concept of "Another negative one equals one proof" is a mathematical proof that demonstrates how multiplying a negative number by another negative number results in a positive number.

2. How does the proof work?

The proof is based on the properties of multiplication, specifically the fact that when two negative numbers are multiplied together, the result is a positive number. By substituting -1 for one of the negative numbers and using basic algebraic manipulation, the proof shows that -1 multiplied by any negative number is equal to 1.

3. Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it helps to explain and understand the behavior of negative numbers in mathematical operations. It also serves as a fundamental concept in algebra and calculus.

4. Are there any real-world applications of this proof?

Yes, the concept of "Another negative one equals one proof" has real-world applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, this concept is used in understanding the direction and magnitude of forces in a vector space.

5. Is this proof universally accepted?

Yes, this proof is universally accepted and has been widely used in mathematics for centuries. It is a fundamental concept that is taught in schools and universities around the world.