[[another]] question about projections

• Thread starter imsoconfused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projections
In summary, the conversation touches on the three main vectors in the direction of blood flow in the heart (aVR, AVL, and aVF) and how they form an equilateral triangle. These vectors are represented by leads labeled LeadI, LeadII, and LeadIII. The total heart vector is also discussed (V=2i-j) and the need to find its projection on the aVR lead. The formula P=((A.B)/|A|^2)A is used to find the projection, with the final answer being ((6+sqrt(3)/(5))V). The conversation also mentions a diagram that would aid in understanding the question better.
imsoconfused
OK, this question has a lot of parts, so I'll do my best to write it in a way that makes sense. Basically, aVR, AVL, and aVF are the three main vectors in the direction of blood being pumped by the heart. The three endpoints of the vectors form an equilateral triangle that goes from each hand to the feet and hand to hand. These are the leads labeled LeadI, LeadII, and LeadIII. Looking at the body from the front, LeadI stretches from the left side (right hand) to the right side (left hand), LeadII stretches from the left side to the bottom (the feet) and LeadIII stretches from the right side (left hand) to the bottom (the feet). aVR lead is -(1/2)LeadI -(1/2)LeadII, (aVL=(1/2)LeadI - (1/2)LeadIII, and aVF=(1/2)LeadII+(1/2)LeadIII, FYI). The total heart vector is V=2i-j, and we need to find the projeciton on the aVR lead of V. Lead I is the horizontal vector 2i, so V.LeadI=4. Lead II is the -60deg vector i - sqrt(3)j, so V.LeadII=2+sqrt(3). Lead III is the -120deg vector -i - sqrt(3)j, so V.LeadIII= -2 + sqrt(3).

If that wasn't confusing enough, here is what I have used/done.

P=((A.B)/|A|^2)A so here it would be P=((V.aVR)/|V|^2)V. aVR= -(1/2)LeadI - (1/2)LeadII and V=2i-j. That means:

V.(-(1/2)LeadI-(1/2)LeadII = (V.(-1/2)LeadI) + (V.(-1/2)LeadII) = 4 + 2 + sqrt(3) = 6 + sqrt(3) (that's (A.B))

then put that into the projection eq. to obtain ((6+sqrt(3)/(5))V).

And that is my answer, but it just seems a little funky. Could you check to see where I've made an error? If something is confusing, just let me know and I'll clarify, half of this is a description of a diagram.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question certainly is really confusing. You mentioned it came with a diagram. That would help a lot if you post it.

Related to [[another]] question about projections

1. What is a projection in scientific terms?

A projection is a method of representing a three-dimensional object or space on a two-dimensional surface. It involves transforming the coordinates of the object onto a flat surface, usually a map or graph.

2. How are projections used in scientific research?

Projections are commonly used in scientific research to visualize and analyze data, such as geographic data or data from three-dimensional models. They allow for easier interpretation and comparison of data points.

3. What are some common types of projections used in science?

Some common types of projections used in science include Mercator, cylindrical, conic, and azimuthal projections. Each type has its own strengths and weaknesses and is used for different purposes.

4. What are the potential sources of error when using projections in scientific research?

One potential source of error when using projections is distortion. Projections can distort the shape, size, or distance of objects or data points, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Other sources of error include the choice of projection type and the accuracy of the data being projected.

5. How can scientists ensure the accuracy of projections in their research?

To ensure the accuracy of projections, scientists can use multiple projections and compare the results to identify any inconsistencies. They can also use projection software that allows for adjustments and corrections to be made. It is also important to use high-quality, accurate data when creating projections.

Back