Another short question on Rovelli's book

In summary, the conversation is discussing the example of the "timeless double pendulum" on page 109 and how the phase space is two dimensional, despite there being four coordinates. The confusion arises from the different spaces that were defined and the use of parametrization to explain the two dimensions.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
On page 109 he does the example of the "timeless double pendulum".
He says that the phase space is two dimensional. I think I am getting confused with all the spaces he defined :biggrin:

Why 2?? I would have expected 4 since there are two coordinates, a and b, and their conjugate momenta.

Physics news on Phys.org
nrqed said:
On page 109 he does the example of the "timeless double pendulum".
He says that the phase space is two dimensional. I think I am getting confused with all the spaces he defined :biggrin:

Why 2?? I would have expected 4 since there are two coordinates, a and b, and their conjugate momenta.

It looks like his phase space "relativistic phase space" isn't simply the usual one we're familiar with (cotangent bundle of configuration space). Just a bit below the comment about dimension 2, he gives the evolution equation f(a,b,alpha,beta) and states that the phase space (space of ellipses in (a,b) space) is parametrised by alpha and beta hence 2 dimensional.

FAQ: Another short question on Rovelli's book

1. What is the main premise of Rovelli's book?

The main premise of Rovelli's book is to provide a concise and accessible introduction to the key concepts and principles of modern physics, including quantum mechanics and general relativity.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

The book is intended for a general audience, including those with little to no background in physics. However, it may also be of interest to those with a basic understanding of the subject who wish to deepen their knowledge.

3. What sets Rovelli's book apart from other popular science books on physics?

Rovelli's book stands out for its engaging and approachable writing style, as well as its focus on the philosophical implications of modern physics. It also avoids complex mathematics, making it accessible to a wider audience.

4. Is there a specific order in which the book should be read?

No, the book can be read in any order as each chapter covers a different topic. However, it is recommended to read the book from beginning to end for a better understanding of the overall concepts.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

No prior knowledge of physics or mathematics is required to understand the content of this book. However, some familiarity with basic scientific concepts may be helpful.