Another Trigonometric Equation

In summary, you can use the sum identity sin(\alpha+\beta) to solve for t. However, you can also use the difference identity sin(\alpha-\beta) to get the same result.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

Solve for t

sin3tcost+cos3tsint=-1/2

Homework Equations

Sum and Difference Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw this problem the the sum identity sin([itex]\alpha[/itex]+[tex]\beta[/tex]) looked like the way to begin solving for t.

This condenses to sin(3t+t)= -1/2 which is sin(4t)= -1/2

I let 4t=x and now have sin x= -1/2

The answers for this are 7[itex]\pi[/itex]/6+2[itex]\pi[/itex]n and 11[itex]\pi[/itex]+2[itex]\pi[/itex]n.

This means that 4t equals both 7[itex]\pi[/itex]/6+2[itex]\pi[/itex]n and 11[itex]\pi[/itex]+2[itex]\pi[/itex]n. I need to divide the four out to get t by itself.

The general solutions (I think) are t=7[itex]\pi[/itex]/24+[itex]\pi[/itex]n/2 and 11[itex]\pi[/itex]/6+[itex]\pi[/itex]n/2.

Did I miss anything or does this look correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TrueStar said:

Homework Statement

Solve for t

sin3tcost+cos3tsint=-1/2

Homework Equations

Sum and Difference Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw this problem the the sum identity sin([itex]\alpha[/itex]+[tex]\beta[/tex]) looked like the way to begin solving for t.

This condenses to sin(3t+t)= -1/2 which is sin(4t)= -1/2

I let 4t=x and now have sin x= -1/2
In the next couple of lines, the 2nd expression should be 11[itex]\pi[/itex]/6 +2[itex]\pi[/itex]n, which it appears you caught later.
TrueStar said:
The answers for this are 7[itex]\pi[/itex]/6+2[itex]\pi[/itex]n and 11[itex]\pi[/itex]+2[itex]\pi[/itex]n.

This means that 4t equals both 7[itex]\pi[/itex]/6+2[itex]\pi[/itex]n and 11[itex]\pi[/itex]+2[itex]\pi[/itex]n. I need to divide the four out to get t by itself.
In the next line, you got the "divided by 6" back in the second expression, but forgot to divide by 4.
TrueStar said:
The general solutions (I think) are t=7[itex]\pi[/itex]/24+[itex]\pi[/itex]n/2 and 11[itex]\pi[/itex]/6+[itex]\pi[/itex]n/2.
Make the above t=7[itex]\pi[/itex]/24+[itex]\pi[/itex]n/2 and 11[itex]\pi[/itex]/24+[itex]\pi[/itex]n/2.
TrueStar said:
Did I miss anything or does this look correct?

Thanks!

You're right. I had that written on my paper, but it's a typo here on the board. Thank you for reading my post!

FAQ: Another Trigonometric Equation

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and typically includes one or more unknown variables. These equations are commonly used in mathematics and physics to model and solve real-world problems.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation and use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions and algebraic techniques to find the value of the variable.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving equations include the Pythagorean identities, the sum and difference identities, and the double and half angle identities. These identities allow you to rewrite trigonometric functions in terms of other trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve equations.

4. When do we use the quadratic formula to solve trigonometric equations?

The quadratic formula is used to solve trigonometric equations when the equation can be written in the form of a quadratic equation. This typically occurs when the equation contains a squared trigonometric function, such as sin^2(x) or cos^2(x). Using the quadratic formula can help you find the solutions to these equations.

5. Can there be more than one solution to a trigonometric equation?

Yes, there can be more than one solution to a trigonometric equation. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat their values after a certain interval. Therefore, some equations may have multiple solutions within a given interval, while others may only have one solution.