Answer: 39Ca, 40Ca, 41Ca, 41Sc: Ground & Excited State Spins & Parities

In summary, the spins and parities of the ground states of 39Ca, 40Ca, 41Ca and 41Sc are determined by the odd nucleon in each nucleus. For the first excited state, it is generally assumed to be the next energy level on the shell-model diagram. However, there may be different probabilities for the excitation and there could be differences in the energy levels for neutrons and protons. Further research may be needed to confirm this reasoning.
AlexSm11
The question:
Use the shell-model diagram provided to justify the spins and parities of the ground-state of 39Ca, 40Ca, 41Ca and 41Sc. Give the spins and parities of the first excited state of 39Ca,41Ca and 41Sc
(Z=20 for CA and Z=21 for Sc)

My problem:
Although I'm fairly certain I've got the spins and parities of the ground states right, I'm ASSUMING (something I know to be dangerous in physics :p) that the first excited state will be the closest higher energy level on the diagram. Is this correct?

Because 2s1/2 state is a lower energy configuration on the diagram than 1d3/2 state.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since both 39-Ca, 41-Ca and 41-Sc have an even number of one nucleon and an odd number of the other one (even #protons and odd #neutrons in Ca, reverse in Sc), the odd nucleon determines the spin and parity of the nucleus. I would, just like you did, assume that it is this last odd nucleon that carries the excitation energy. Then I don't think it is at all generally true that the excitation will be just one energy level higher in the diagram, probably you could have lots of different probabilities for the excitation. BUT, if you don't have any given information about this you should probably assume that the excitation is just to the next level in the shell model diagram. I'm not sure that the levels are the same for neutrons and protons though so there might be a difference between the isotopes.

Now I'm not entirely sure about this reasoning but that's what I would do (and did in my Nuclear Physics course some month ago) in a problem like this. Can you look it up somewhere?

Related to Answer: 39Ca, 40Ca, 41Ca, 41Sc: Ground & Excited State Spins & Parities

1. What is the difference between ground and excited state spins and parities?

Ground state spin and parity refer to the intrinsic angular momentum and the parity (odd or even under spatial inversion) of the lowest energy state of an atom. Excited state spin and parity refer to the same properties for any higher energy states of the atom.

2. How do spin and parity affect the behavior of an atom?

Spin and parity determine the energy levels and the allowed transitions between energy levels of an atom. They also play a role in determining the stability and reactivity of atoms.

3. How are spin and parity experimentally determined?

Spin and parity can be determined through experiments such as spectroscopy, where the energy levels and transitions of an atom are studied. The results of these experiments can then be used to calculate the spin and parity of the atom.

4. What is the significance of the numbers 39Ca, 40Ca, 41Ca, and 41Sc in the answer?

These numbers represent different isotopes of the element calcium, with 39Ca and 41Sc being unstable and 40Ca and 41Ca being stable. The different isotopes have different ground and excited state spins and parities, providing valuable information about the structure and behavior of calcium atoms.

5. Can the spin and parity of an atom change?

Yes, the spin and parity of an atom can change through nuclear reactions or interactions with other particles. However, these changes are usually small and occur in specific circumstances, as the spin and parity are considered fundamental properties of an atom.