Answer: Calculate Net Force of Water on Dam of Width 'w' and Depth 'd

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the net force of water on a dam of width 'w' and depth 'd', as well as evaluating the net force on a specific dam with a height of 100m and water depth of 60m. A formula for net force is derived using pressure and area, and it is suggested to integrate from 0 to d. The conversation also explores how pressure in a liquid depends on depth and provides the formula P = Po + pdg, where p is density and d is distance below the surface. The connection between pressure and the task at hand is still being determined.
forty
Water stands at depth 'd' behind a dam of width 'w'.

i.
Find an expression for the net force of the water on the dam.

ii.
Evaluate the net force on a 100m high dam with a 60m water depth.

Attempt
For the first part:

p=F/A
A=wd
pwd=F

Then integrate from 0 to d which gives .5pw(d^2).
Does this even look remotely correct, i have a feeling there should be a g somewhere in there?

As for the 2nd part I'm stumped, how do I find the p term from that information.

Any help as always is greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
forty said:
Then integrate from 0 to d which gives .5pw(d^2).
Does this even look remotely correct, i have a feeling there should be a g somewhere in there?
How does pressure in a liquid depend upon depth?

Weight of the water above it?

forty said:
Weight of the water above it?
Give a precise formula for pressure as a function of distance below the surface. (Look it up!)

P = Po + pdg

p = density

But how do i relate that to what I'm doing >.<

Related to Answer: Calculate Net Force of Water on Dam of Width 'w' and Depth 'd

1. How do you calculate the net force of water on a dam?

To calculate the net force of water on a dam, you will need to use the formula F = ρgh, where F is the net force, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the water. You will also need to know the width of the dam (w) and the depth of the dam (d). The formula for calculating the net force of water on a dam is F = ρghwd.

2. What is the significance of calculating the net force of water on a dam?

Calculating the net force of water on a dam is important for understanding the structural integrity of the dam and the forces that it can withstand. By knowing the net force of water on the dam, engineers and scientists can design and construct dams that are able to withstand the pressure and prevent catastrophic failures.

3. How does the width and depth of the dam affect the net force of water?

The width and depth of the dam directly impact the net force of water on the dam. The wider and deeper the dam, the greater the surface area for water to exert force on. This results in a larger net force acting on the dam. Therefore, it is important to consider both the width and depth of the dam when calculating the net force of water on it.

4. What other factors may affect the net force of water on a dam?

Aside from the width and depth of the dam, other factors that may affect the net force of water on a dam include the velocity of the water, the angle of the dam, and the shape of the dam. These factors can impact the amount of pressure and force that the water exerts on the dam, and should be taken into account when calculating the net force.

5. Can the net force of water on a dam be negative?

Yes, the net force of water on a dam can be negative. This occurs when the force of the water pushing against the dam is less than the force of gravity pulling the water down. In this case, the net force is directed downward, resulting in a negative value. Negative net force can put strain on the dam and potentially weaken its structure, so it is important to consider this possibility when designing and constructing dams.

Back