Answer: Calculating Linear Force from 5000 lb-ft of Torque

In summary, the individual is using a rotary drive and linkage system to operate dampers. They are unsure of the relationship between lb-ft and lbf, but their drive generates 5000 lb-ft of torque. They need to understand the linear force this applies to a connecting rod attached to the end of a 12" arm. The arm is horizontal and the connecting rod is perpendicular to it. The drive will generate 5000 lbs of force at a distance of 1 foot, perpendicular to the arm.
jw2007
I am working with a rotary drive and a linkage system to open and close dampers. I am having trouble recalling how lb-ft and lbf relate. The drive has a rotating shaft with and arm extending from it. The shaft generates 5000 lb-ft of torque and I need to understand what linear force this applies to a connecting rod attached to the opposite end of the 12" arm extending from the shaft. The rotating shaft is in one end of the 12" arm. The arm is horizontal (on the x-axis) and the connecting rod is attached to the other end of the arm and it perpendicular to the arm (on the y-axis). I hope this is clear. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A drive which provides 5000lb-ft of torque will generate 5000 lbs of force at a distance of 1 foot, in the direction perpendicular to your 'arm'.

Thank you!

FAQ: Answer: Calculating Linear Force from 5000 lb-ft of Torque

1. How do you calculate linear force from torque?

To calculate linear force from torque, you need to divide the torque by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This will give you the linear force in pounds (lbs).

2. What is the formula for calculating linear force from torque?

The formula for calculating linear force (F) from torque (T) is F = T / r, where r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. Can you explain the concept of torque and linear force?

Torque is a measure of rotational force, while linear force is a measure of force applied in a straight line. The relationship between the two can be calculated using the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. How does torque affect linear force?

The amount of torque applied will directly affect the amount of linear force produced. This relationship can be seen in the formula F = T / r, where a larger torque or a shorter distance will result in a greater linear force.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating linear force from torque?

Sure, let's say we have a torque of 5000 lb-ft and the distance from the center of rotation to the point of force application is 2 feet. Using the formula F = T / r, we can calculate the linear force as F = 5000 lb-ft / 2 ft = 2500 lbs. This means that a torque of 5000 lb-ft applied at a distance of 2 feet will result in a linear force of 2500 lbs.