ANSWER CHECK: Double Integral in Polar

In summary, a double integral in polar coordinates is a type of integration used to find the volume or area under a curve in the polar coordinate system. It differs from a double integral in Cartesian coordinates in that the region of integration is defined using polar coordinates. The formula for calculating a double integral in polar coordinates is ∫∫f(r,θ) rdrdθ, and it has various applications in physics and engineering. Common mistakes to avoid when working with double integrals in polar coordinates include converting the limits of integration, including the extra r term, and using the incorrect formula for the region of integration.
Pull and Twist
Here is the problem I am dealing with...
View attachment 6027

And this is how I approached it. Can anyone confirm that I did it correctly and got the right answer?

View attachment 6028

Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 59
Physics news on Phys.org
PullandTwist said:
Can anyone confirm that I did it correctly and got the right answer?
Yes, it's all good. (Yes)

Thank you for verifying it for me. 🙂

FAQ: ANSWER CHECK: Double Integral in Polar

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a type of integration that is used to find the volume or area under a curve in the polar coordinate system. It involves integrating over a region in the form of a circular sector or a polar rectangle.

2. How is a double integral in polar coordinates different from a double integral in Cartesian coordinates?

In a double integral in polar coordinates, the region of integration is defined using polar coordinates (r and θ) instead of rectangular coordinates (x and y). This allows for a simpler representation of curves and regions that are more naturally defined in polar coordinates.

3. What is the formula for calculating a double integral in polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating a double integral in polar coordinates is ∫∫f(r,θ) rdrdθ, where f(r,θ) is the function being integrated and the limits of integration are determined by the region of integration.

4. What are some applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate moments of inertia, center of mass, and gravitational potential. They are also used in calculating areas and volumes in curved regions, such as circles, ellipses, and other polar curves.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with double integrals in polar coordinates?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with double integrals in polar coordinates include forgetting to convert the limits of integration from rectangular to polar coordinates, forgetting to include the extra r term when integrating, and using the incorrect formula for the region of integration (i.e. using a polar rectangle formula for a circular sector).