Answer Checking (Speed of Sound formula, dimensional analysis)

In summary: The units of k would be L/T²K⁻¹. In summary, the formula for measuring the speed of sound in air includes the variables velocity, temperature, a dimensionless constant, and the average mass of an air molecule. If all units are in SI, the units of k would be L/T²K⁻¹. The second equation given is not a valid equation for wave speed because it is not dimensionally proportionate.
Phonetic

Homework Statement

One formula for measuring the speed of sound in air is:
[itex]
v=\sqrt\frac{kTg}{m}
[/itex]

v=velocity
T=temperature
g=dimensionless constant
m=average mass of an air molecule

If all units are SI, what are the units of k?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done a lot of Googling to first try and find formulas for the speed of sound. The most similar I've seen on Wikipedia was
cc8e66050f6b9537574f750498ec6eb1.png

with the last part of the formula being the most relevant
Cideal = ideal speed
gamma = adiabatic index
k = Boltzmann Constant
T = temperature in Kelvin
m = mass of a single molecule in kg

That makes me think that k is a placeholder for the adiabatic index or the Boltzmann Constant, but I'm not sure which (if either) it is.

Homework Statement

In this question, the length of a wave, λ, has dimensions L, wave speed (v) has dimensons L/T, and gravitational acceleration (g) has units of L/T². Could the following be an equation for wave speed:

Homework Equations

[itex]
v=\sqrt\frac{g}{λ}
[/itex]

λ=L
v=D/T
g=L/T²

[itex]
D/T = \sqrt\frac{L/T²}{L}
[/itex]

[itex]
D/T=\sqrt{T²}
[/itex]

[itex]
D/T=T
[/itex]

No it could not be an equation for wave speed because it is not dimensionally proportionate.

If I didn't get these right, where did I go wrong? I feel like I got the second one right, but I'm completely clueless on the first one. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phonetic said:

Homework Statement

One formula for measuring the speed of sound in air is:
[itex]
v=\sqrt\frac{kTg}{m}
[/itex]

v=velocity
T=temperature
g=dimensionless constant
m=average mass of an air molecule

If all units are SI, what are the units of k?

I've done a lot of Googling to first try and find formulas for the speed of sound. The most similar I've seen on Wikipedia was
cc8e66050f6b9537574f750498ec6eb1.png

with the last part of the formula being the most relevant
Cideal = ideal speed
gamma = adiabatic index
k = Boltzmann Constant
T = temperature in Kelvin
m = mass of a single molecule in kg

That makes me think that k is a placeholder for the adiabatic index or the Boltzmann Constant, but I'm not sure which (if either) it is.

No need to look for similar equations. They just wanted you to get the units of k.

you have velocity on the left side in m/s. Write down the units of the rest of units of the dimensions. Then put them into the formula and re-arrange to find k.

Phonetic said:

Homework Statement

In this question, the length of a wave, λ, has dimensions L, wave speed (v) has dimensons L/T, and gravitational acceleration (g) has units of L/T². Could the following be an equation for wave speed:

Homework Equations

[itex]
v=\sqrt\frac{g}{λ}
[/itex]

λ=L
v=D/T
g=L/T²

[itex]
D/T = \sqrt\frac{L/T²}{L}
[/itex]

[itex]
D/T=\sqrt{T²}
[/itex]

[itex]
D/T=T
[/itex]

No it could not be an equation for wave speed because it is not dimensionally proportionate.

If I didn't get these right, where did I go wrong? I feel like I got the second one right, but I'm completely clueless on the first one. Thanks in advance!

This one is correct.

Related to Answer Checking (Speed of Sound formula, dimensional analysis)

1. What is the speed of sound formula?

The speed of sound formula is v = f * λ, where v represents the speed of sound, f represents the frequency, and λ represents the wavelength.

2. How do you calculate the speed of sound using dimensional analysis?

The speed of sound can be calculated using dimensional analysis by converting the given units to the appropriate base units, such as meters for distance and seconds for time. Then, using the speed of sound formula, plug in the converted values and solve for the speed of sound in meters per second.

3. What is the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in air varies depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude. However, at sea level and room temperature, the speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second.

4. How does the speed of sound differ in different mediums?

The speed of sound differs in different mediums due to differences in their density, temperature, and elasticity. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids, and even faster in liquids than in gases.

5. How does the speed of sound change with temperature?

The speed of sound increases as temperature increases. This is because as temperature increases, the molecules in a medium vibrate more rapidly, allowing sound waves to travel faster through the medium.