Answer: Expand (z+1)^5: 5z^4 + 10z^3 + 10z^2 + 5z^1 + 1

• Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date
In summary, the expanded form of (z+1)^5 is 5z^4 + 10z^3 + 10z^2 + 5z^1 + 1. To expand a binomial to the fifth power, you can use the binomial theorem or the Pascal's triangle method. There are six terms in the expansion of (z+1)^5. The expanded form cannot be simplified any further. It can be used in various scientific calculations, such as in physics, chemistry, and statistics.
andrey21
I simply have to expand (z+1)^5

I think I have the solution I am just unsure about the signs:z^5 5z^4 10z^3 10z^2 5z^1 1 Is it alternate signs + - + - ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you meant (z-1)^5

but your signs sound correct, consider how many times each must be multiplied by (-1), eg the z term must be multiplied by (-1)^4 so is even

Ye sorry I did mean (z-1)^5, if it was (z+1)^5 would that be the same expansion exceot the signs be all positive. Thanks

Related to Answer: Expand (z+1)^5: 5z^4 + 10z^3 + 10z^2 + 5z^1 + 1

1. What is the expanded form of (z+1)^5?

The expanded form of (z+1)^5 is 5z^4 + 10z^3 + 10z^2 + 5z^1 + 1. This means that each term inside the parentheses is raised to the power of 5 and then multiplied by the corresponding coefficient.

2. How do you expand a binomial to the fifth power?

To expand a binomial to the fifth power, you can use the binomial theorem or the Pascal's triangle method. The binomial theorem states that (a+b)^n = Σ(nCr * a^(n-r) * b^r), where n is the power, a and b are the terms of the binomial, and nCr is the combination formula. The Pascal's triangle method involves writing out the coefficients in a triangle and using them to expand the binomial.

3. How many terms are in the expansion of (z+1)^5?

There are six terms in the expansion of (z+1)^5. This can be determined by using the binomial theorem, where n is the power and the number of terms is n+1.

4. Can you simplify the expanded form of (z+1)^5?

No, the expanded form of (z+1)^5 cannot be simplified any further. Each term is already in its simplest form and there are no like terms that can be combined.

5. How can the expanded form of a binomial to a higher power be used in scientific calculations?

The expanded form of a binomial to a higher power can be used in various scientific calculations, such as in physics, chemistry, and statistics. For example, it can be used to find the probability of certain outcomes in a statistical experiment or to calculate the coefficients in a polynomial function that models a physical phenomenon.

Back