Answer:Finding Value of k & Probability of A Winning at Least 2 Matches

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kudasai
  • Start date
Can you continue from here?In summary, the conversation discusses two ping-pong players, A and B, playing a series of 10 matches with a probability of 0.2 for A to win any match. Part a) asks for the value of k if the probability of A winning exactly k matches is 0.888, but there is no solution. For part b), the probability of A winning at least two matches is found by subtracting the probability of A winning zero or one match from 1, which can be calculated using the binomial probability formula.
Kudasai
Two ping-pong players $A$ & $B$ play a series of 10 matches. The probability that $A$ wins any of the matches is $0.2$

a) If the probability that $A$ wins exactly $k$ matches in the series is $0.888$. What's the value of $k$?

b) What's the probability that $A$ wins at least two matches?

---------------

I ain't good with these stuff, so I hope you guys may help me please. :D
The part a) states that $A$ could win 2, 3, 5 or 8 matches and the probability is the same, is this assumption correct? How to find the value of $k$?

As for b), how can I compute the asked probability? I know that $A$ has probability of wining any of the patches with value $0.2$, but when it says "at least," I can understand it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kudasai said:
Two ping-pong players $A$ & $B$ play a series of 10 matches. The probability that $A$ wins any of the matches is $0.2$

a) If the probability that $A$ wins exactly $k$ matches in the series is $0.888$. What's the value of $k$?

b) What's the probability that $A$ wins at least two matches?

---------------

I ain't good with these stuff, so I hope you guys may help me please. :D
The part a) states that $A$ could win 2, 3, 5 or 8 matches and the probability is the same, is this assumption correct? How to find the value of $k$?

As for b), how can I compute the asked probability? I know that $A$ has probability of wining any of the patches with value $0.2$, but when it says "at least," I can understand it.

Thank you.

The probability that A wins k games of the 10 games is... $\displaystyle P \{k=0 \} = \binom {10}{0}\ .2^{0}\ .8^{10} = .10737...$

$\displaystyle P \{k=1 \} = \binom {10}{1}\ .2\ .8^{9} = .2684...$

$\displaystyle P \{k=2 \} = \binom {10}{2}\ .2^{2}\ .8^{8} = .3019...$

$\displaystyle P \{k=3 \} = \binom {10}{3}\ .2^{3}\ .8^{7} = .201326...$

... and it is fully evident that P= .888 doesn't correspond to any value of k. The probability $P\{k \ge 2\}$ is... $\displaystyle P\{k \ge 2\} = 1 - P\{k = 0\} - P\{k= 1\}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
I agree with chisigma that for part a) there is no solution, however, I suspect the given probability should be approximately 0.088. Then we may write:

\(\displaystyle {10 \choose k}(0.2)^k(0.8)^{10-k}\approx0.088\)

Try successive values for $k$.

For part b) I would use the fact that:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{A wins less than two})+P(\text{A wins at least two})=1\)

We can arrange this as:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{A wins at least two})=1-P(\text{A wins zero OR A wins 1})\)

Can you proceed?

Okay so I have for b) that

$P(A)=1-P(A^c),$ so $P(A)=1-0.2=0.8.$ Is it correct? I think it's too easy to be correct.

Thanks.

Kudasai said:
Okay so I have for b) that

$P(A)=1-P(A^c),$ so $P(A)=1-0.2=0.8.$ Is it correct? I think it's too easy to be correct.

Thanks.

Yes, that's not correct. You want:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{A wins at least two})=1-P(\text{A wins zero OR A wins 1})\)

Now, we may write:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{A wins zero OR A wins 1})=P(\text{A wins zero})+P(\text{A wins one})\)

And apply the binomial probability formula to each event on the right.

FAQ: Answer:Finding Value of k & Probability of A Winning at Least 2 Matches

What is the importance of finding the value of k and probability of A winning at least 2 matches?

The value of k and probability of A winning at least 2 matches are important because they help determine the success rate of a particular experiment or event. This information can be used to make decisions or predictions based on the likelihood of a desired outcome.

How is the value of k determined?

The value of k is typically determined through experimentation or statistical analysis. This involves collecting data and using mathematical methods to calculate the most accurate value for k based on the given parameters and variables.

What factors affect the value of k and probability of A winning at least 2 matches?

The value of k and probability of A winning at least 2 matches can be affected by a variety of factors such as the sample size, the distribution of data, and the specific parameters and variables involved in the experiment or event. Other external factors, such as environmental conditions, may also play a role.

How can the value of k and probability of A winning at least 2 matches be used in real-life situations?

The value of k and probability of A winning at least 2 matches can be used in a variety of real-life situations, such as in statistics, economics, and decision-making processes. For example, a company may use this information to determine the success rate of a new product launch or a sports team may use it to make strategic decisions during a game.

How accurate are the results obtained from finding the value of k and probability of A winning at least 2 matches?

The accuracy of the results obtained from finding the value of k and probability of A winning at least 2 matches will depend on the quality and quantity of the data collected, as well as the methods used for analysis. It is important to ensure that proper statistical techniques are used and that all relevant factors are taken into account in order to obtain the most accurate results.