Answer Projectile Velocity when Hitting Ground: 15.3 m/s

• Thread starter conkle08
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a projectile of mass 0.695 kg being shot from a cannon at an angle of 46 degrees. The projectile reaches a maximum height of 1.84m and the question is to find the magnitude of the velocity when it hits the ground, using the formula v=vyo -2g(y-y0).
conkle08
can you answer this??

A projectile of mass 0.695 kg is shot from a cannon, at height 6.5, with an initial velocity having a horizontal component of 5.8 m/s. The projectile rises to a maximum height of delta (y) above the end of the cannon's barrel and strikes the gound a horizontal distance delta (x) past the end of the cannon's barrel. g=9.8. The cannon is angled at 46 degrees. The height from the ground to delta y is 6.5 m. The maximum height delta y the projectile achieves after leaving the end of the cannon's barrel is 1.84m (which i calculated). I also calculated the vertical component of the initial velocity at the end of the cannon's barrel, where the projectile begins its trajectory is 6.01. I need to find the magnitude of the velocity vector when the projectile hits the ground? answer in units of m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
this can pretty much be solved in two steps: one involves one of the four basic projectile motion equations. Which one do you think would be most appropriate for this problem?

v=vyo -2g(y-y0)

conkle08 said:
v=vyo -2g(y-y0)

That's the question I had in mind (using the information you gave) but I'm not sure that formula is correct as written, so i'll just give it here incase there is confusion: v^2 = vo^2 - 2g(y-y0)

FAQ: Answer Projectile Velocity when Hitting Ground: 15.3 m/s

1. What is projectile velocity?

Projectile velocity is the speed at which an object, called a projectile, is moving in a specific direction. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is projectile velocity calculated?

Projectile velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height at which the projectile was released.

3. What is the significance of the given value "15.3 m/s" in the context of projectile velocity?

The value of "15.3 m/s" represents the magnitude of the projectile velocity, meaning the speed at which the object is moving when it hits the ground. It does not indicate the direction of the velocity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the velocity of a projectile as it travels through the air. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, slowing it down.

5. Can projectile velocity change after hitting the ground?

Once a projectile has hit the ground, its velocity will continue to change due to factors such as friction and air resistance. However, the initial velocity at which it hits the ground will remain constant.

Back