ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling

In summary, a common problem with optimization of machines is that variable combinations may not be geometrically feasible. This can be problematic when using global optimization, as the limits of the variables are interdependent and it is difficult to account for all cases that will generate a non-feasible geometry. One workaround is to use a script to check for feasibility beforehand, but this can be time consuming and may require knowledge of VB or MATLAB. Another option is to use VB scripts to catch errors during optimization and move on to the next case. Other software packages may also be considered.
Devraj Dutt
A common problem with optimization of machines is that occasionally, some of the variable combinations will not be geometrically feasible. For example, if magnet angle is being parameterized in an IPMSM, it might be that at some point, the magnet skews so much that it juts out of the rotor.
Generally, it is possible to define the limits of the variables, but since I am playing with a global optimization, there are 5 attributes that can vary and the limits of each are interdependent, which makes it impossible within the current framework to account for all of the cases that will generate a non-feasible geometry. If I run an optimization, it generally stops sometime in the middle of the night, when it encounters one of these non feasible geometries and I have to start over, which is frustrating.

One way to circumvent this is to use a script and calculate previously if a certain configuration is feasible, but this is time consuming and I am not great at VB (I have done this in MATLAB).

The easier way (still using VB scripts) would be to run an optimization and to "catch" an error whenever it occurs within VB, cancel the analysis of this erroneous case and move on to the next case. Something like this is really easy to do in MATLAB. Does anyone have sample code or a possible solution to how the error can be caught during optimization? I can't find any error handling guides in the native help files.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If VB is not the best course of action, then maybe someone has a suggestion for a different approach. I am also open to using other software packages, as long as they are not too expensive.

FAQ: ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling

1. What is ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling?

ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling is a feature in ANSYS Maxwell, a software used for electromagnetic field simulation and analysis, that allows for the detection and resolution of errors that may occur during the simulation process.

2. How does ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling work?

ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling works by providing detailed information about the errors that occur during the simulation process, including the type of error and the location in the simulation where it occurred. This information allows users to identify and fix the error, ensuring accurate and reliable simulation results.

3. What types of errors can be detected by ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling?

ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling can detect a wide range of errors, including geometric errors, meshing errors, material errors, and solver errors. It can also detect errors related to boundary conditions, constraints, and other simulation settings.

4. How can I access ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling?

ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling can be accessed through the ANSYS Maxwell user interface. Users can also customize the settings for error handling and specify the level of detail they want to receive for different types of errors.

5. Is ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling effective in resolving errors?

Yes, ANSYS Maxwell Optimetrics Error Handling is an effective tool for resolving errors in the simulation process. By providing detailed information about the errors, users can easily identify and fix the issue, ensuring accurate and reliable results. In addition, ANSYS offers technical support for any issues that may arise during the simulation process.

Back