ANSYS Weld Simulation: How to Model in ANSYS

In summary, the conversation discusses using ANSYS for FEM-analysis of a welded structure. The speaker is unsure how to simulate the welding process and is using ANSYS 12. The expert suggests two options for modeling welds in ANSYS and mentions the potential impact of welding on material properties. The expert suggests using FEA outputs at the contact line for simpler analysis.
wuxarn
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and is currently working on a project where we are going to do a FEM-analysis of a structure with parts that is welded together. The parts are not welded together by spotwelds, but welded along a line.
My problem is that I don't know how to simulate this in ANSYS, I'm not the one who originally created the CAD-model and currently I don't have the software used (P/E wildfire 5). I could post pictures later on when I get on my work-computer.

I'm using ANSYS 12 for all that matters.

Regards,
Wuxarn

Engineering news on Phys.org
Modeling welds in ANSYS is a tricky subject. You basically have 2 options-

1. Create a bonded contact condition, calculate the reaction forces at that contact, and calculate the weld throat stress analytically using ANSYS's numbers.
  2. Model the welds in the CAD software as separate volumes, and include these in the ANSYS mesh.

Keep in mind welding can change the physical properties of the material in the vicinity of the weld as well.

I'd just use the FEA outputs at the contact line, stops a whole lot of mess.

Related to ANSYS Weld Simulation: How to Model in ANSYS

1. What is ANSYS Weld Simulation and why is it important?

ANSYS Weld Simulation is a software tool used to simulate welding processes and their effects on a structure or component. It is important because it allows engineers and designers to accurately predict the performance and behavior of welded structures before they are physically produced, saving time and resources.

2. How do I model a weld in ANSYS?

To model a weld in ANSYS, you will need to first create a geometry of the welded structure in the ANSYS DesignModeler module. Then, in the ANSYS Mechanical module, you can use the weld tool to specify the type, size, and location of the weld. Finally, you can assign appropriate material properties and boundary conditions to accurately simulate the weld in your analysis.

3. What types of welding processes can be simulated in ANSYS?

ANSYS Weld Simulation can simulate a variety of welding processes, including arc welding, spot welding, laser welding, and more. It also has the ability to simulate heat-affected zones, distortion, residual stress, and microstructure changes caused by the welding process.

4. Can ANSYS Weld Simulation predict the strength and durability of a welded structure?

Yes, ANSYS Weld Simulation can predict the strength and durability of a welded structure by taking into account the welding process, material properties, and loading conditions. It can also identify potential failure points and suggest design modifications to improve the overall performance of the welded structure.

5. Are there any limitations to using ANSYS Weld Simulation?

While ANSYS Weld Simulation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It relies on accurate input data, such as material properties and welding parameters, to provide accurate results. It also may not be suitable for highly complex or unconventional welding processes. It is important to consult with experienced engineers and validate the results with physical testing when using ANSYS Weld Simulation.