Ansys Workbench Help (creating load in center of body)

In summary, it is recommended to split the solid model into parts and select a vertex where the force can be applied. Another option is to create a multi-body part in DesignModeler to avoid surface contact conditions. To do this, the solid model can be split in Solidworks before importing into Workbench, or in DesignModeler after import. If DesignModeler is not available, the force can be applied to a node using named selection after meshing.
The0wn4g3
I'm just learning how to use Ansys Workbench 13 to analyze static structures. I need to analyze the deformation of a simply supported beam with a concentrated force in the center vertically downward. I have a 3D model of this beam created in Solidworks.

How do I create a force in the center of the beam?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to split the solid model into parts such that there will be a vertex (and therefore a mesh node) where you want the force. Then simply select the vertex using your selection filter and apply the force to the point.

If you want to avoid contact conditions, also consider creating a multi-body part in DesignModeler using the appropriate commands. This will create a solid which is split into sub-solids for the purposes of meshing and force application, but does not require contact conditions for a solution.

Thanks for your help!

I need to avoid surface contact, so the two bodies function as one part and one mesh. Sorry if the follow questions seem mundane, but I'm having a hell of a time finding good Workbench tutorials.

1. When I open a new project, double-click "structural analysis", what is the proper step to proceed? Since my model is already created in SolidWorks, I am currently performing: right-click on "geometry" -> "import" -> "cantilever beam.SLDPRT". Is this correct?

2. Do I take my Solidworks part and split it in Solidworks, then import to Workbench and use some sort of multi-body command in "geometry" to combine the two bodies into one part? Or do I import my Solidworks part, then split into two bodies in Workbench?

3. I'm looking through the "geometry" Workbench commands and I'm not seeing anything related to multi-body... Am I looking or working in the wrong applications?

I guess, it really comes down to: How exactly do I create a multi-body part in DesignModeler from a part imported form Solidworks?

To create a multi-body part in Workbench I think you need to use DesignModeler, which is the ANSYS CAD processing solution. Splitting the body in half could be done either through Solidworks before you import into ANSYS or through DesignModeler after import.

If you don't have access to DesignModeler, you could also apply the force to a node if you mesh the part such that one node is at the point you want the force. The best way to do this would be to create a named selection at the node you're interested in after meshing, and then applying the force to the named selection.

To create a force in the center of the beam, you will first need to define the geometry and material properties of your beam in Ansys Workbench. This can be done by importing your 3D model from Solidworks or by creating a new geometry in Ansys.

Once your geometry is defined, you can then create a load by selecting the "External Loads" option in the "Model" tab. From there, you can choose the type of load you want to apply, in this case a concentrated force.

Next, you will need to specify the location of the force by selecting the center of the beam. You can either select the center point directly or use the coordinate system to specify the location.

After defining the location, you can then specify the magnitude and direction of the force. In this case, you will want to specify a vertical downward force.

Once you have defined all the necessary parameters, you can apply the load to your beam by clicking "Apply" in the "External Loads" menu. You can then run your analysis to see the deformation of the beam under this applied load.

It is important to note that the accuracy of your analysis will depend on the accuracy of your geometry and material properties. Make sure to double check all inputs before running your analysis. Additionally, you may want to consider adding additional supports or constraints to accurately model the simply supported beam.

Related to Ansys Workbench Help (creating load in center of body)

1. What is Ansys Workbench Help?

Ansys Workbench Help is a software program used for engineering simulation and analysis. It is widely used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing to design and test products before they are physically built.

2. How do I create a load in the center of a body in Ansys Workbench?

To create a load in the center of a body in Ansys Workbench, you can use the "Remote Force" or "Remote Displacement" tools. These tools allow you to specify a location for the load or displacement, including the center of a body. You can also use the "Symmetry" boundary condition to apply a load on one side of the body and have it mirrored on the other side.

3. Can I apply a load to multiple bodies in Ansys Workbench?

Yes, you can apply a load to multiple bodies in Ansys Workbench by using the "Multi-Body Parts" feature. This feature allows you to create a single part from multiple bodies and then apply a load to the combined part. You can also use the "Coupling" feature to apply loads or displacements to multiple bodies that are connected or interact with each other.

4. How do I adjust the magnitude and direction of a load in Ansys Workbench?

To adjust the magnitude and direction of a load in Ansys Workbench, you can use the "Details View" for the load boundary condition. In this view, you can enter the desired values for the magnitude and direction of the load or use the graphical tools to adjust the load visually. You can also use the "Coordinate System" feature to apply a load in a specific direction.

5. Is there a way to preview the effects of a load in Ansys Workbench?

Yes, you can use the "Solution Information" tool to preview the effects of a load in Ansys Workbench. This tool provides information about the displacement, stress, and strain caused by the applied load. You can also use the "Probe" tool to select specific points on the model and see the corresponding results for the applied load.