Antenna Wavelength - double-slit interference

In summary, Farmer Joe is trying to find the best location for his antenna to receive good reception for his favorite radio station. However, he cannot place it on his house because it disturbs his wife's sleep. With two large boulders in between, he must determine the next best place to put the antenna. Using the equations for radio station wavelength and distance to the boulders, as well as the given information about the slits, the next maximum point can be calculated using trigonometry. This point is marked by an asterisk on a provided drawing and is located at a distance of 66.66 meters from the house.
Koro21

Homework Statement

The question is " Two large boulders lie between the house and Farmer Joe's favorite radio station. Farmer Joe cannot put the antenna on his house because the howl of the wind through it keeps Mrs Joe up all night. Where is the next best place Farmer Joe can put his antenna to get great reception?
Radio station wavelength = 2m
distance to boulder = 100m (the horizontal component)
y= antenna placement along the vertical
the slits around the boulders are 3m apart

Homework Equations

λ= c/f
sin theta = m( λ/d) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

this problem has really stumped me for a while
in essence this seems to be double-slit interference problem so would the first order fringe produce the strongest single?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you have 2 slits with just 2 boulders? Did anyone provide a drawing?

Yeah the boulders confuse me too because this is the drawing taht came with the problem

Attachments

• IMG_20130512_212633_182.jpg
    IMG_20130512_212633_182.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 433
Koro21 said:
Yeah the boulders confuse me too because this is the drawing taht came with the problem

Aha. THREE boulders!
OK so this is a 2-slit setup.

You need to determine the next maximum located away from the house, marked by the asterisk on your drawing. What should be the difference in path lengths between each "slit" to the asterisk to get the next maximum? Then it's just trig to get the distance between the house and the asterisk.

thanks for the guiding hand
So for constructive interference m = an integer
λ=2m
L= 100m (distance to slits)
d= 3m (distance between slits)
m=1 ( the next constructive maxima)
so the final equation i get is y= (mλL)/d = 66.66 meters which sounds really big, did i mess up somewhere?

Koro21 said:
thanks for the guiding hand
So for constructive interference m = an integer
λ=2m
L= 100m (distance to slits)
d= 3m (distance between slits)
m=1 ( the next constructive maxima)
so the final equation i get is y= (mλL)/d = 66.66 meters which sounds really big, did i mess up somewhere?

That's what I got. The distance is large because, in relation to the wavelength, the slit separation is very small.

Related to Antenna Wavelength - double-slit interference

1. What is antenna wavelength?

Antenna wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in an electromagnetic wave, which is transmitted or received by an antenna.

2. How is antenna wavelength related to double-slit interference?

In double-slit interference, the distance between the two slits is comparable to the wavelength of the incident wave. The interference pattern observed is determined by the wavelength of the wave and the distance between the slits.

3. Why is antenna wavelength important in wireless communication?

Antenna wavelength is important in wireless communication because it determines the frequency of the electromagnetic wave produced or received by the antenna. Different frequencies have different properties and are used for different purposes in wireless communication.

4. Can the antenna wavelength be changed?

No, the antenna wavelength is determined by the physical length and properties of the antenna and the frequency of the electromagnetic wave. However, the frequency can be changed, which will result in a change in the antenna wavelength.

5. How does the antenna wavelength affect the performance of an antenna?

The antenna wavelength affects the performance of an antenna in terms of its efficiency and directivity. The size and shape of the antenna are optimized for a specific wavelength to achieve the best performance.