Anticlockwise Moment & Force Direction: Why the Change?

In summary: In this problem, you need to use both. In summary, the author is discussing the direction of tension in a rope in a specific problem involving a truck ramp. The tension in the rope is shown to act downwards and to the right, producing a clockwise moment. The author also explains that the direction of tension can be determined by considering the geometry of the problem and using equations such as net force and net torque equaling zero.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

in figure b , based on the direction of moment of anticlockwise is positive , i can say that -Tcos20 (7 sin 30 ) is a clockwise moment , so that the tension of rope should be acted in upward direction , so that the horizontal component of the force acted to the left to produce clockwise moment .

My question is why the author change to direction of tension or rope is acting downwards in figure c ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 38.png
    38.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
goldfish9776 said:
in figure b , based on the direction of moment of anticlockwise is positive , i can say that -Tcos20 (7 sin 30 ) is a clockwise moment

Yes. If you draw the free body diagram for the steps then T acts at point B and points downwards and to the right. The horizontal component of T is Tcos20 points to the right and so acts clockwise. That's why it is -Tcos20 when he sums the torques.

...so that the tension of rope should be acted in upward direction , so that the horizontal component of the force acted to the left to produce clockwise moment.

No that bit is wrong. At B, the horizontal component of T acts to the right and that produces a clockwise moment.

If in doubt draw the free body diagram for the steps only. Post that here so we can see you have that right.

goldfish9776 said:
My question is why the author change to direction of tension or rope is acting downwards in figure c ?

He didn't change. It acts downwards and to the right in b and c.

CWatters said:
Yes. If you draw the free body diagram for the steps then T acts at point B and points downwards and to the right. The horizontal component of T is Tcos20 points to the right and so acts clockwise. That's why it is -Tcos20 when he sums the torques.
No that bit is wrong. At B, the horizontal component of T acts to the right and that produces a clockwise moment.

If in doubt draw the free body diagram for the steps only. Post that here so we can see you have that right.
Ok, can you explain why the tension of rope is acting downwards??

goldfish9776 said:
Ok, can you explain why the tension of rope is acting downwards??
The tension in the rope is what is keeping the truck ramp from dragging on the ground behind the truck.

SteamKing said:
The tension in the rope is what is keeping the truck ramp from dragging on the ground behind the truck.
Is it okay if I assume the tension of rope to act upwards at first??

goldfish9776 said:
Is it okay if I assume the tension of rope to act upwards at first??
No. Why do you want to do that?

The rope runs from the truck ramp to the attachment point as shown on the diagram.

SteamKing said:
No. Why do you want to do that?

The rope runs from the truck ramp to the attachment point as shown on the diagram.
It's because I don't know how to determine the direction of tension at most of the time...if I gt the tension is in negative value tat means the direction of tension is opposite to the direction that I have initially made??

goldfish9776 said:
It's because I don't know how to determine the direction of tension at most of the time...if I gt the tension is in negative value tat means the direction of tension is opposite to the direction that I have initially made??
You don't need to determine the direction of tension in this case; it is clearly shown in the example.

Sometimes, you have to live with the geometry of the problem.

SteamKing said:
You don't need to determine the direction of tension in this case; it is clearly shown in the example.

Sometimes, you have to live with the geometry of the problem.
If I gt the tension of rope is negative value, then can I say than the direction of tension is opposite to the direction that I have initially made?

goldfish9776 said:
If I gt the tension of rope is negative value, then can I say than the direction of tension is opposite to the direction that I have initially made?
You could, but I would hesitate to say that as a general rule, especially without seeing any of your work.

Ropes only act one way, unlike bars, beams or trusses. You can't push on a rope. :wink:

Gravity causes the steps to rotate anti clockwise about the bottom end so the tension must act clockwise or the moments won't sum to zero. The geometry means that the latter also acts downwards. You could move the bottom end of the rope up and to the right but that would be a different problem.

Likes goldfish9776
Can you show us your working so we can see how you get a negative tension?

CWatters said:
Gravity causes the steps to rotate anti clockwise about the bottom end so the tension must act clockwise or the moments won't sum to zero. The geometry means that the latter also acts downwards. You could move the bottom end of the rope up and to the right but that would be a different problem.
Can I use the sum of forces =0 to determine the direction of tension? Since you said that the gravity forces causes the road to turn in anticlockwose, then the direction of tension must be downwards to create clockwise movement ...
So I determine the direction of torque caused by gravitational force first, then I would know the direction of moment should be opposed to the direction of gravity force to counter the force?

Yes. Many statics problems require you to use net force = 0, or net torque = 0, or both to solve them.

Likes goldfish9776

Related to Anticlockwise Moment & Force Direction: Why the Change?

1. What is an anticlockwise moment and force direction?

An anticlockwise moment and force direction refers to the direction in which a force is applied to an object, causing it to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. This is in contrast to a clockwise moment and force direction, which would cause the object to rotate in a clockwise direction.

2. Why does the direction of a moment and force change?

The direction of a moment and force can change due to a variety of factors, such as changes in the position or orientation of the object, changes in the applied force, or changes in the point of rotation.

3. How does the direction of a moment and force affect an object's rotation?

The direction of a moment and force plays a crucial role in determining an object's rotation. A counterclockwise moment and force direction will cause the object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction, while a clockwise moment and force direction will result in a clockwise rotation.

4. Can an object rotate in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions?

Yes, an object can rotate in both directions depending on the direction of the applied force. For example, if a force is applied in a counterclockwise direction, the object will rotate in that direction. However, if the force is then applied in a clockwise direction, the object will rotate in the opposite direction.

5. How is the direction of a moment and force measured?

The direction of a moment and force is typically measured using a coordinate system, such as the Cartesian coordinate system. The direction can be described using angles or vectors, which indicate the magnitude and direction of the force and moment.