Antiderivative graphing question - help

In summary, the conversation is focused on finding the local and global maximum and minimum points of the function g(x) = xsinx, which is equivalent to the integral of t*sin(t) from 0 to x. The participants discuss the use of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the derivative to determine the points where the function's slope is zero, which are the local maxima and minima. There is also mention of the concept of global maxima and minima, but it is not fully explored.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5430/80433637.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for a, would it be local.max: x=7.7 and local.min: x=4.8 ?
and for b, abs.max: x=11 and abs.min: x=2 ?

im not sure if i did it right but looks like this isn't what the question wants me to do..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The graph you show is f(x) = xsinx. The function you're investigating is [tex]g(x)~=~\int_0^x t sin(t)dt[/tex]

How would you ordinarily go about find the local max or min of a function?

Have you learned about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus recently? (That's a hint.)

Mark44 said:
The graph you show is f(x) = xsinx. The function you're investigating is [tex]g(x)~=~\int_0^x t sin(t)dt[/tex]

How would you ordinarily go about find the local max or min of a function?

Have you learned about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus recently? (That's a hint.)

[tex]
g(x)~=~\int_0^{pi/4} x sin(x)dx
[/tex]

i would look at the graph and see which point looks like local min/max then plug it into the antiderivative of the integral. (which i don't really know how to get because its xsinx...)
so whatever i get for G(x) i will plug that number i got for the local min/max and that will be the value for local min/max.. am i making any sense? lol

and yes i have learned about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus but how's that helping me?

Well, one of the most common applications of the first derivative is in finding the minimum or maximum of a function...

Think about the first derivative as a slope. If [tex]g(x)[/tex] is at a min or max, what is the slope?

This integral doesn't have anything to do with your problem. This is not a function of x - it's a constant.
Slimsta said:
[tex]
g(x)~=~\int_0^{pi/4} x sin(x)dx
[/tex]
This is the integral you're interested in
[tex]g(x)~=~\int_0^x t sin(t)dt[/tex]

What I've been getting at and what Char.Limit made more explicit is for you to look at the derivative of this function. And no, you don't have to evaluate the integral directly. Use the FTC to find g'(x).
Slimsta said:
i would look at the graph and see which point looks like local min/max then plug it into the antiderivative of the integral. (which i don't really know how to get because its xsinx...)
so whatever i get for G(x) i will plug that number i got for the local min/max and that will be the value for local min/max.. am i making any sense? lol

and yes i have learned about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus but how's that helping me?

Sorry, Mark, but it didn't seem to me as if he fully caught what you were saying...

Char. Limit said:
Sorry, Mark, but it didn't seem to me as if he fully caught what you were saying...
If you're apologizing to me for jumping in, I don't mind. The more the merrier.

Char. Limit-
"If g(x) is at a min or max, what is the slope? "
its 0.

Mark44-
the FTC just tells me that g'(x)=f(x) (for my case)
which means that g'(x)=xsinx
now g(x) = antiderivative of g'(x) which is <i don't know how to get it, tried everything already>
but how does this help me with any of the question a,b,c or d?

Ok... Now what does the first derivative tell you about the min/max points, if you know that the slope of those points must be zero?

im not sure... i think that it tells me that that min/max point will be positive or negative for g(x)'s graph..
i really have no idea. I am not really good with calc and i feel dumb right now :(

Slimsta said:
Char. Limit-
"If g(x) is at a min or max, what is the slope? "
its 0.

Mark44-
the FTC just tells me that g'(x)=f(x) (for my case)
which means that g'(x)=xsinx
now g(x) = antiderivative of g'(x) which is <i don't know how to get it, tried everything already>
but how does this help me with any of the question a,b,c or d?

What I've been trying to steer you to is that you don't need to evaluate g(x) directly; all you need is g'(x), which you have already said is equal to x*sinx. If you want to find the max and min values of a function, say g, look at where its derivative g' is zero.

g'(x) = ?
g'(x) = 0 for what x?

Mark44 said:
What I've been trying to steer you to is that you don't need to evaluate g(x) directly; all you need is g'(x), which you have already said is equal to x*sinx. If you want to find the max and min values of a function, say g, look at where its derivative g' is zero.

g'(x) = ?
g'(x) = 0 for what x?

g'(x) = xsinx
g'(x) = 0 for x=0,pi, 2pi, 3pi, 4pi

So now you know where the min and max are, now you need to figure out which ones are which.

See a way to do that?

i would know if i had the graph of g(x)..
but i kinda remember from high school that from g'(x) graph, if it goes from + to - then its a local max, and if from - to + its a local min.. but when is it global max/min?

FAQ: Antiderivative graphing question - help

What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, yields the original function.

How do I graph an antiderivative?

To graph an antiderivative, you first need to find the general antiderivative of the given function. Then, you can use the properties of antiderivatives to determine the specific antiderivative that passes through a given point. Once you have the equation of the antiderivative, you can plot it on a graph.

What are the properties of antiderivatives?

The properties of antiderivatives include the constant multiple rule, the sum and difference rule, and the power rule. These properties allow you to manipulate the equations of antiderivatives and determine specific equations that pass through given points.

Why is it important to graph antiderivatives?

Graphing antiderivatives allows us to better understand the behavior of a function and its relationship to its derivative. It also helps us visualize the area under a curve, which is an important concept in calculus.

What are some tips for graphing antiderivatives?

Some tips for graphing antiderivatives include starting with the general antiderivative, identifying key points and using the properties of antiderivatives to find specific equations, and using a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph accurately.