Antiparticle Mass: Dirac Equation & E=mc^2

• Thread starter widderjoos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the equations that describe the behavior of particles at rest predict that antimatter has a positive inertial mass and a positive gravitational mass. There is no conclusive experimental evidence to support this, but it is believed to be true.
widderjoos
I've heard that the dirac equation predicts antiparticles with negative energy. Since for particles at rest, E=mc^2, shouldn't antiparticle masses be negative? If this were true, it would explain alot. I know there's probably a counter-example that if an electron and positron annihilated, they'd make a photon with a certain energy, but couldn't that energy have come from the momenta of the particles? Or are there non-relativistic experiments that rule out this possibility?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply, but doesn't there have to be something wrong with the equations or experiment for antimatter mass to be positive?

widderjoos said:
I've heard that the dirac equation predicts antiparticles with negative energy. Since for particles at rest, E=mc^2, shouldn't antiparticle masses be negative? If this were true, it would explain alot. I know there's probably a counter-example that if an electron and positron annihilated, they'd make a photon with a certain energy, but couldn't that energy have come from the momenta of the particles? Or are there non-relativistic experiments that rule out this possibility?

Electron-positron annihilation produces two photons each which has the energy equivalent of the rest mass of the electron or positron (511 kev), possibly with a slight addition due to the momenta.

Also radioactive decay leading to positron emission wouldn't balance if the mass of the positron was negative.

Also the equations that describe anti-particles in Quantum Field Theory don't effect the mass of the particle, only its charge. "Solutions of the Dirac equation contained negative energy quantum states. As a result, an electron could always radiate energy and fall into a negative energy state. Even worse, it could keep radiating infinite amount of energy because there were infinitely many negative energy states available. To prevent this unphysical situation from happening, Dirac proposed that a "sea" of negative-energy electrons fills the universe, already occupying all of the lower energy states so that, due to the Pauli exclusion principle no other electron could fall into them. Sometimes, however, one of these negative energy particles could be lifted out of this Dirac sea to become a positive energy particle. But when lifted out, it would leave behind a hole in the sea which would act exactly like a positive energy electron with a reversed charge. These he interpreted as the positron, and called his paper of 1930 A theory of electrons and positrons." - Wikipedia

widderjoos said:
Thanks for the reply, but doesn't there have to be something wrong with the equations or experiment for antimatter mass to be positive?

I think your interpretation of E=mc2 is wrong. First off, let's take units with c=1, so it becomes E=m. Then E=m can be thought of as a special case of the relativistic relation E2-p2=m2, where p is the momentum. Therefore it doesn't predict anything about the sign of m.

bcrowell said:
I think your interpretation of E=mc2 is wrong. First off, let's take units with c=1, so it becomes E=m. Then E=m can be thought of as a special case of the relativistic relation E2-p2=m2, where p is the momentum. Therefore it doesn't predict anything about the sign of m.

Ok, thanks everyone! I see what I'm doing wrong now.

Related to Antiparticle Mass: Dirac Equation & E=mc^2

1. What is an antiparticle?

An antiparticle is the opposite counterpart of a particle, with the same mass but opposite charge. For example, the antiparticle of an electron is a positron, which has the same mass as an electron but a positive charge instead of a negative charge.

2. How is antiparticle mass related to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic quantum mechanical equation that describes the behavior of particles with spin 1/2, such as electrons. It predicts the existence of antiparticles and provides a way to calculate their mass in terms of the particle's energy and momentum.

3. What is the significance of E=mc^2 in relation to antiparticle mass?

E=mc^2 is Einstein's famous equation that relates mass and energy. In the case of antiparticles, it explains how a particle and its corresponding antiparticle can be created or annihilated by converting their mass into energy.

4. How is antiparticle mass measured?

Antiparticle mass can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as particle accelerators, which allow scientists to create and observe particles and antiparticles. Other methods include studying the behavior of particles and antiparticles in high-energy collisions or using precision measurements of their properties.

5. What are the real-world applications of understanding antiparticle mass?

Understanding antiparticle mass is crucial in fields such as particle physics, where it helps to explain the fundamental properties and interactions of matter. It also has practical applications in medical imaging, as positron emission tomography (PET) scans use the annihilation of positrons and electrons to produce images of the body's internal structures.