Any 3D graph plotting tools for Mac?

In summary, there is a discussion about finding a free graphing utility for Mac OS X, with some suggestions and opinions being shared. The conversation mentions installing Wine for OSX to use a Windows-based graphing calculator, but one person prefers a native OS X app. Another person recommends using Grapher.app, which allows for entering equations and formatting them. There is also mention of using Gnuplot, a powerful graphing utility that can be scripted and embedded with other programs, but one person does not want to spend time dealing with it. There is also a desire for a simple, free 3D scientific visualization code for Mac and a mention of a previously available graphing software called Grapher.
christianjb
Anything free that is?

BTW, I have a biological aversion to Gnuplot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmmm, I don't really want to spend half a day messing around with Wine. I'd prefer a native OS X app.

Gnuplot's wonderful. In fact, it's one of the best graphing utilities on the planet, mainly because you can script it and embed it within a flow involving other programs.

- Warren

/Applications/Utitilities/Grapher.app

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for. But it allows you enter equations and nice way. For example, if you type (5x^2)/2 it will format it for you.

Kuno said:
/Applications/Utitilities/Grapher.app

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for. But it allows you enter equations and nice way. For example, if you type (5x^2)/2 it will format it for you.

Thanks. I love grapher, but I want to import my own data and grapher won't let me do this.

chroot said:
Gnuplot's wonderful. In fact, it's one of the best graphing utilities on the planet, mainly because you can script it and embed it within a flow involving other programs.

- Warren

Thanks. I'm not sure I really want to battle with gnuplot one more time. It nerds me out. Plus, it doesn't allow you to rotate surfaces in real time.

I'm amazed there isn't a simple free 3d scientific visualization code for the mac.

Paraview looked simple, but it requires writing data in vtk format which seems quite complicated. I haven't been able to find a good vtk tutorial on the web.

Whatever happened to that graphing software that came with the MacOS? I think it was a basic version and you paid if you wanted a premium version that allowed implicit functions. It was very pretty.

FulhamFan3 said:
Whatever happened to that graphing software that came with the MacOS? I think it was a basic version and you paid if you wanted a premium version that allowed implicit functions. It was very pretty.

Thanks. It's called Grapher. See my answer above.

Related to Any 3D graph plotting tools for Mac?

1. What are the best 3D graph plotting tools for Mac?

Some popular 3D graph plotting tools for Mac include Grapher, MATLAB, and OriginPro. These tools offer a wide range of features and capabilities for creating 3D graphs and visualizations.

2. Can these tools handle large datasets for 3D graph plotting on Mac?

Yes, most 3D graph plotting tools for Mac have the capability to handle large datasets. However, the exact limits will vary depending on the specific tool and the specs of your Mac.

3. Are there any free options for 3D graph plotting on Mac?

Yes, there are some free 3D graph plotting tools available for Mac such as Gnuplot and Veusz. These tools may have more limited features compared to paid options, but can still be useful for basic 3D graph plotting needs.

4. Do these tools offer customizable options for 3D graph layouts and styles?

Yes, most 3D graph plotting tools for Mac offer a variety of customizable options for graph layouts, colors, labels, and more. This allows for personalized and professional-looking 3D graphs.

5. Can I export 3D graphs created with these tools to other programs or formats?

Yes, many 3D graph plotting tools for Mac allow for exporting graphs to various file formats such as PDF, PNG, or SVG. This allows for easy integration of 3D graphs into presentations, reports, and other documents.

Back