Any examples of naturally occurring holograms?

• B
  • Thread starter Mr Green T
  • Start date
In summary, the trail camera video appears to show a holographic image of a red dome. It's possible that this is an internal phenomenon and that there is no external source of light that could cause the image. The holographic image may be the result of constructive interference.
Mr Green T
TL;DR Summary
holograms, light, illusions, nature
Just downloaded a very interesting trail camera video that appears to contain a holographic red dome on the ground. Highest probability it's internal to the lenses and some reflection. It caused me to do a bit of fruitless searching on the topic of naturally occurring holograms. Do naturally occurring holograms exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you defining a hologram? What in the trail camera pictures reminded you of holography? I'm not aware of too many naturally occurring monochromatic light sources and interfernce within the coherence length...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holography

Likes Bystander
I believe the colour on the wings of butterflies is caused by interference and so may be classed as a hologram.

Likes sophiecentaur and Mr Green T
Mr. Green T has it. Butterfly wing colors, as well as those colored rings on oil-covered water and the color of peacock feathers, are all the result of constructive structured interference. This is mathematically identical to a hologram, creating a "false color" in white light, although not generating the displacement optical illusion we usually think of.

IIRC, some starfish have periodic structures that are actually holographic lenses, which would be an example of the more typical holographic usage. These are not the well-known eyespots on the tips of the arms, but scattered along the "skin".

Likes Mr Green T and hmmm27
berkeman said:
I'm not aware of too many naturally occurring monochromatic light sources and interfernce within the coherence length.

tech99 said:
I believe the colour on the wings of butterflies is caused by interference and so may be classed as a hologram.
I think it's only a matter of degree but that may be crucial for the definition of 'hologram' to apply. The bands of colour you see in a thin film have very low spatial frequency across the film and only require low coherence of the illumination (only the order of the thickness of the film).

OTOH, holograms that are created optically do not need high coherence of the light that they are viewed by. However, I seem to remember being shown hologram slides in the 60s which were only visible with laser light (in the laser lab at Uni).

Evolution is great though; it often (/always?) produces structures (variation of the hard chitin that insects are built of) in a way that 'designers' never would. It works by positive reinforcement of a design that gives a good result. (Hmm; a bit like some of my attempts at electronics along the lines of a blind watchmaker)

Related to Any examples of naturally occurring holograms?

1. What is a hologram?

A hologram is a three-dimensional image created by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source.

2. Are there any naturally occurring holograms?

Yes, there are several examples of naturally occurring holograms, such as the iridescent colors on butterfly wings, the rainbow colors on soap bubbles, and the shimmering colors on certain types of fish.

3. How are naturally occurring holograms formed?

Naturally occurring holograms are formed through the same principle as artificial holograms - the interference of light waves. In nature, this can happen through the reflection and refraction of light on surfaces, such as the scales of a fish or the thin film of a soap bubble.

4. Can we create artificial holograms that mimic naturally occurring ones?

Yes, scientists have developed methods to create artificial holograms that mimic the natural ones found in nature. These holograms are created using specialized equipment and techniques, and can be used for various applications such as security features on credit cards and passports.

5. How are holograms used in science?

Holograms have many uses in science, including in microscopy, astronomy, and medical imaging. They can also be used to create 3D images for scientific visualization and simulations. Additionally, holograms are used in research and development of new technologies, such as holographic displays and virtual reality.