Any VBA / Excel gurus present?

• Thread starter juzbe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, the person is new to Visual Basic and has 500 Excel worksheets with data and graphs. They need to change the line color in the graph based on the numerical value of each data point and are looking for a way to do this automatically using a macro. However, since the data row plotted against the top row varies from sheet to sheet, it is difficult to determine which row to look at when deciding the color. The suggestion is to reorganize the data and use the macro recorder, but the issue with using a macro for graphs is that the VBA code will have to be changed for each graph due to the different data locations.
juzbe
I'm fairly new to Visual Basic, so the answer to this might be really simple...

So here's the deal:

I have something like 500 Excel worksheets, that each contain the following:

1. 2-N equally long rows of data
2. A Line graph of one of rows 2-N versus the top row

What I need to do is change the line color in the graph, according to the numerical value of each data point. Needless to say, since there are hundreds of these graphs, I'd like to be able to write a macro that will do this for me.

My problem is, the data row that is plotted against the top row varies from sheet to sheet, which means I don't know which row to look at when deciding the color. Is there any way to obtain this information from the Chart object?

Any help would really be appreciated, I'm starting to think I could've done this manually in the time it's taken me to write the macro :)

Thanks in advance!

Technology news on Phys.org
First, assuming all 500 worksheets are in one workbook, you should re-organize your data to minimize the number of sheets. Upon re-organization have the data set-up in a consistent format. Then use the macro recorder to record the macro that you can use over and over again. The problem with using a macro with a graph is that you will have to change the VBA code for each graph since the data is located in different rows for each graph. Hope that helps.

I understand the importance of automating tasks to save time and increase efficiency. It sounds like you are on the right track in using VBA and macros to achieve your goal.

To answer your question, yes, there is a way to obtain the information about which data row is plotted against the top row from the Chart object. You can use the ".SeriesCollection" property to access the individual data series in your chart. From there, you can use the ".Format.Line" property to change the color of the line based on the numerical value of each data point.

I would also recommend using a loop to go through each worksheet and apply the macro to all the graphs. This way, you don't have to manually run the macro for each individual sheet.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Any VBA / Excel gurus present?

1. What is VBA and how is it used in Excel?

VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is a programming language used to create automated processes and applications within Microsoft Excel. It allows users to write code that can manipulate data, automate tasks, and create custom functions within Excel.

2. What are the benefits of using VBA in Excel?

VBA can greatly increase efficiency and productivity in Excel. It allows for automation of repetitive tasks, creation of custom functions, and manipulation of data that is not possible with Excel's built-in functions and features.

3. Do I need to be an expert programmer to use VBA in Excel?

No, VBA can be learned by anyone with determination and practice. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and prior experience with other coding languages can make the learning process easier.

4. Can I use VBA to create interactive user interfaces in Excel?

Yes, VBA can be used to create user forms and interfaces within Excel. This allows for a more user-friendly experience and can make complex tasks more manageable for non-technical users.

5. Are there any resources available for learning VBA for Excel?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, forums, and books available for learning VBA for Excel. Microsoft also offers official documentation and support for VBA programming in Excel.