Anybody know of a 100mV Schottky diode or similar device?

In summary, a Schottky diode needs to be used to bias the transformer-coupled communications receiver apart by about 100mV. The problem is that the Vf of the Schottky diode needs to be lowered to make it into a good rectifier, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.
berkeman
Mentor
I need to bias the inputs to a transformer-coupled communications receiver apart by about 100mV. Since the transformer has split windings, one way to do this would be to add a Schottky diode into the center tap, and bias it with a little current (not enough to saturate the transformer). I would use parallel diodes to maintain the offset when the AC comm signal comes through the transformer.

But so far I haven't found any Schottky diodes with a Vf of less than 220mV, and those were big power diodes. I just need small signal diodes in the 10-20mA range. I was doing some reading that suggests that lower Vf diodes are not generally made because the reverse leakage current increases with decreasing Vf, so they are not very good rectifiers if you try to push Vf too low.

But I don't really care about reverse leakage current in this application. Does anybody know of custom Schottky diodes where they could maybe be tuned for the lower Vf as a special? Or does anybody know of any other similar electronic device that will drop a constant 100mV for currents in the 1mA-20mA range?

Attachments

• Center Tap Schottky Diodes.jpg
    Center Tap Schottky Diodes.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 526
Engineering news on Phys.org
You may have a look at:

BAT60A - Silicon Schottky Diode (Rectifier Schottky diode with extreme low VF drop for mobile communication For power supply - Siemens Semiconductor Group

What bus is that? It seems like an odd requirement after going to all the trouble to isolate the lines. :)

Even if they did make a custom one I don't think you're going to find a schottky that can hold 100mV over process and temp, over a decade of If. The curves are going to be too wild.

The only single device I can think that could hold a 100mV offset would be a pre-charged large cap that got switched in. Not sure if that could work here. Or maybe the really stupid solution of overdriving the common mode with a large current from pin 1 to 6 and then use a resistor. :)

Is the problem you don't know which common mode current in the 1mA - 20mA range you're going to get and it can be positive or negative (based on back to back diodes)?

I am thinking the creators of the bus already have a solution and you're looking for a cheaper/simpler way to do it. :) Depending on the com link specifics, I suspect it could be a hard thing to do. I would be really curious what the standard solution is if there is one.

That BAT60A is a really nice part. But if the 1mA If point is a requirement, per Berkeman's post, then the 25C Vf at that load is pretty close to 0V.

Bobbywhy said:
You may have a look at:

BAT60A - Silicon Schottky Diode (Rectifier Schottky diode with extreme low VF drop for mobile communication For power supply - Siemens Semiconductor Group
Thanks for that Bob. I had missed that part. I'll get some samples and try them out in my test fixture.

es1 said:
What bus is that? It seems like an odd requirement after going to all the trouble to isolate the lines. :)

I am thinking the creators of the bus already have a solution and you're looking for a cheaper/simpler way to do it. :) Depending on the com link specifics, I suspect it could be a hard thing to do. I would be really curious what the standard solution is if there is one.
LOL. I'm one of the creators of this comm bus. It's sold in the millions in its standard configuration. We just have a large customer with a strange requirement that has me looking at this solution. :smile:

jim hardy said:
I wonder if you could use the low Vce of a saturated PNP transistor to advantage.
ONSemiconductor offers a line of low Vce transistors..

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/parametrics.do?id=808
I'd thought about using Vcesat, but there are some biasing issues that have so far kept me from using it. I think I'll revisit it though.

Thanks for the thoughts folks!

Related to Anybody know of a 100mV Schottky diode or similar device?

1. What is a Schottky diode?

A Schottky diode is a type of semiconductor device that has a low forward voltage drop and a fast switching speed. It is commonly used in electronic circuits as a rectifier or a voltage clamp.

2. How does a Schottky diode differ from a regular diode?

A regular diode, also known as a p-n junction diode, is made of two layers of different types of semiconductor materials. In comparison, a Schottky diode is made of a metal and a semiconductor material, which results in a lower forward voltage drop and faster switching speed.

3. What is the purpose of a 100mV Schottky diode?

A 100mV Schottky diode is typically used in low voltage electronic circuits to prevent reverse current or to regulate voltage. It is also commonly used in high frequency applications due to its fast switching speed.

4. Are there any other devices similar to a Schottky diode?

Yes, there are other devices that function similarly to a Schottky diode, such as Zener diodes, varactor diodes, and PIN diodes. However, each of these devices has its own unique characteristics and applications.

5. Where can I find a 100mV Schottky diode?

You can find a 100mV Schottky diode at electronics stores or online retailers that specialize in electronic components. It is important to ensure that the specific diode you choose meets the voltage and current requirements for your circuit.