Anyone else feel scammed by learning C++98 ?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker discusses their experience with the changes in programming languages, specifically focusing on C++ and C. They mention the benefits and drawbacks of these changes, and suggest that it is important to have a broad understanding of different languages for coding on different platforms. They also mention the potential usefulness of basic C++ and C knowledge.
Jamin2112
I spent countless hours learning about and writing things like std::string::const_iterator. Now there's stuff like auto, for-each loops, etc. What a scam! I still have my C++ Primer book from 5 years ago. It cost me like $200 and what it taught me was uselessly complex.

Technology news on Phys.org
If you don't want to do things in an unnecessarily complex way, then why did you learn C++ in the first place? There are a lot of less complex languages out there.

And there are few programming books which are worth a fraction of $200.00.

I don't see how it's a scam. Programming languages change over time as a result of requests made to the committees who oversee them. The changes you (Jamin) list are peanuts in comparison to the changes made between Fortran IV and the newest variants of Fortran.

With regard to C, there are quite a few changes between C as described in K & R 1st edition and ANSI C of just a few years later. One area that is notable is the difference in how function parameters are declared. Here's an example of the older style.
C:
fun (arg1, arg2)
int arg1, arg2;
{
   /* body of fun */
}

Depending on what you work on, there is a lot of use for basic C++ and even C. The newer stuff is great when it works, terrible when it doesn't work, and irrelevant on hardware or projects that don't have or don't allow those compilers.

Likes elusiveshame
It depends on what you want to do with your knowledge and goals. The more you learn, the easier it will be to code in other languages and on other platforms.

Likes FactChecker

FAQ: Anyone else feel scammed by learning C++98 ?

1. What is C++98?

C++98 is a version of the C++ programming language released in 1998. It is the first official standard for the language and includes new features such as namespaces and exception handling.

2. Why do some people feel scammed by learning C++98?

Some people may feel scammed by learning C++98 because it is an older version of the language and does not include all of the features and improvements found in newer versions. This can make it difficult to use in modern programming environments.

3. Is learning C++98 still relevant?

While C++98 may not be the most up-to-date version of the language, it is still relevant in certain contexts. Many legacy systems and older code bases still use C++98, so understanding it can be beneficial for maintaining and updating these systems.

4. What are the benefits of learning C++98?

Learning C++98 can provide a strong foundation for understanding the fundamentals of the C++ language. It also allows for a better understanding of the evolution of the language and how it has changed over time.

5. Should I learn C++98 or a newer version?

It ultimately depends on your goals and the context in which you will be using C++. If you are interested in working with legacy systems or older code bases, learning C++98 may be beneficial. However, if you are looking to use C++ in modern programming environments, it may be more beneficial to learn a newer version of the language.