Anyone else watched Avatar:The last Airbender ?

• Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
In summary, the movie was terrible and the actors were not to blame. Anyone else watched "Avatar:The last Airbender"?
Pattonias
Anyone else watched "Avatar:The last Airbender"?

It was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The graphics were amazing (I saw it in 2D), but I almost felt insulted because I felt like I was supposed to forgive all the other movies sins because it was visually appealing. I don't even feel like it was the actors fault. The movie was just so terribly put together no one could have saved it. (Maybe Samual L. Jackson and the director of "Snakes on a Plane") I would have considered walking out in the first 30 minutes if tickets weren't so darn expensive these days. It was the first time I left the theatre actually mad. I felt like I had waisted my afternoon when there were so many of decent movies out weekend before last. (For reference, I fit into the 20 something male who hasn't seen the cartoon demographic.)

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

A mainstream American film based on a wannabe japanime cartoon? And you were surprised? ;-p

I'm dreading to see how they will butcher Cowboy Bebop.

Pattonias said:
It was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The graphics were amazing (I saw it in 2D), but I almost felt insulted because I felt like I was supposed to forgive all the other movies sins because it was visually appealing. I don't even feel like it was the actors fault. The movie was just so terribly put together no one could have saved it. (Maybe Samual L. Jackson and the director of "Snakes on a Plane") I would have considered walking out in the first 30 minutes if tickets weren't so darn expensive these days. It was the first time I left the theatre actually mad. I felt like I had waisted my afternoon when there were so many of decent movies out weekend before last. (For reference, I fit into the 20 something male who hasn't seen the cartoon demographic.)

Any thoughts?

I didn't see it but, I read a http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-last-airbender,42682/" of that movie. According to the review, be thankful that you didn't see it in 3D.

Last edited by a moderator:

From what I have heard the cartoon is really pretty good. I know several adult non-anime fans who actually watched the cartoon.

(As far as I'm concerned Cowboy Bebop already has a movie. Unless I hear spectacular things about it, I probably won't even see the live action version.)

Borg said:
I didn't see it but, I read a http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-last-airbender,42682/" of that movie. According to the review, be thankful that you didn't see it in 3D.

Yeah, after watching Alice in Wonderland I don't see movies in 3D that weren't shot in true
3D. That was an epic, non-alchohol induced, headache.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattonias said:
(As far as I'm concerned Cowboy Bebop already has a movie. Unless I hear spectacular things about it, I probably won't even see the live action version.)

The animated movie was decent, but then again it was made in Japan. I heard that they have Keanu Reeves lined up to play Spike. That in itself makes me wish it won't make it to print.

I read its poor review when it was first released. So no, I'm not going to see it.

What I'm looking forward is The Expandables:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6RU5y2fU6s

Pattonias said:
From what I have heard the cartoon is really pretty good. I know several adult non-anime fans who actually watched the cartoon.
I think non-anime fans would be more likely to appreciate it, really. Many anime fans have some sort of aversion to Western animation.

... And as an anime fan with no particular aversion towards western cartoons, I really don't feel the need to watch an American attempt to make an anime. At least not unless it has giant robots. Which reminds me that I need to watch Megas XLR. I heard it has a Combattler V reference. That's got to be a once-in-a-lifetime for American cartoons for sure.

vickyyadav said:
Pitch perfect and brilliantly acted, The Last Airbender is a stunning achievement, helmed with a purity and honesty that captures not just the illegal abortion story at its core but the constant, unremarked negotiations necessary for survival in the final days of the Soviet bloc.

Reads like something form a film review magazine.

It goes against the reviews I've read (and what I felt after watching it).

RE Bolded: Where did that come from? I have absolutely no idea where any of that was in the film. It didn't even come close to touching on it.

vickyyadav said:
Pitch perfect and brilliantly acted, The Last Airbender is a stunning achievement, helmed with a purity and honesty that captures not just the illegal abortion story at its core but the constant, unremarked negotiations necessary for survival in the final days of the Soviet bloc.
Please do not make a post with nothing but a quote which has been attributed to another person without posting the link to the source of the quote, and possibly violating copyright law.

vickyyadav said:

Original quote from here: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-last-airbender

A user written review and it got slated in the user poll for "helpfulness".

JaredJames said:
Reads like something form a film review magazine.

It goes against the reviews I've read (and what I felt after watching it).

RE Bolded: Where did that come from? I have absolutely no idea where any of that was in the film. It didn't even come close to touching on it.

I think that's sarcasm/satire.

I saw the movie the day after it out. Just to put some context on how bad it is, it was nominated for 8 out of the 9 Golden Raspberry Awards and won 4 of them. IMDB's rating is at 4.5/10, but this is deceptively high; the vast majority of user reviews gave it 1/10, the lowest possible rating.

It wasnt so bad. It was passable, really. I liked the idea and the graphics. The way the movie was put together did leave a lot to be desired though.

Its probably a good movie for 11 year olds? I loved the way they tried to portray the romantic relationship between that moon princess chick and the grunt like dude. I almost died laughing :P.

Think of it as a poorly put together comedy along the lines of space balls. Except, it attempts to be subtle! :D

Evo said:
Please do not make a post with nothing but a quote which has been attributed to another person without posting the link to the source of the quote, and possibly violating copyright law.

Evo, I think you're talking to a bot! They still can't judge context in the 21st century.

Pythagorean said:
Evo, I think you're talking to a bot! They still can't judge context in the 21st century.
Yeah, they're a spammer.

I saw it, terrible movie in my opinion, even the visuals don't save it for me.

The only time when visuals save a movie from its plot is in a case like Tron:Legacy; kind of a sub-par plot, but stunning visuals and an amazing soundtrack which brought it into my good books.

What did you expect from M Night Shyamalan? A decent movie? Haha, good one!

Well in fairness to him, I enjoyed The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Related to Anyone else watched Avatar:The last Airbender ?

1. What is "Avatar: The Last Airbender" about?

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" is an animated television series that follows the journey of a young boy named Aang, who is the Avatar - the only person who can control all four elements and bring balance to the world. He must learn to master the elements and defeat the Fire Nation in order to restore peace.

2. How many seasons are there in "Avatar: The Last Airbender"?

There are three seasons, also known as "books", in "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Each book consists of 20 episodes, making a total of 60 episodes in the series.

3. Is "Avatar: The Last Airbender" appropriate for all ages?

Yes, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is suitable for all ages. It has a TV-Y7 rating, which means it is appropriate for children ages 7 and up.

4. Who is the creator of "Avatar: The Last Airbender"?

The series was created by Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino. They also served as executive producers and head writers for the show.

5. Is "Avatar: The Last Airbender" based on a true story?

No, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is not based on a true story. It is a work of fiction that draws inspiration from various Asian cultures, including Chinese, Japanese, and Tibetan traditions.