Anyone Ever Get Slimy Substance on Sink Drain Filter that Keeps Coming

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
kyphysics
Back? (completion of thread title, due to hitting space/character limit)?

By sink drain filter, I mean something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9YDY9WS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

By "slimy substance," I mean like a thick throat mucous-like substance when you're sick. It is clear, fluid that is thick and stringy (very sticky and hard to wash entirely off the filter). It coats the filter and keeps coming back and back. Bleach or white vinegar poured over it can temporarily get rid of it, but then that slime will come back within a week or two.

Anyone experience this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe fat in the water trap is reacting with NaOH drain or oven cleaner, to form that slime.
Next, measure the pH of the slime.
Make a list of all chemicals being used or disposed of in that sink.

Prior to that slimy substance, I did dump orange juice soda occasionally into that bathroom sink. I was too lazy to pour it down the kitchen sink. But I figured it wouldn't matter as it's still a sink. Over time, the drain has gotten a weird filth in it and now a white substance the coats it.

Really, it's only been tooth paste, Listerine, bar soap, my saliva, and cleaning agents (rubbing alcohol, bleach, and/or white vinegar) that have gone down. . . .the normal stuff.

FAQ: Anyone Ever Get Slimy Substance on Sink Drain Filter that Keeps Coming

What causes the slimy substance on my sink drain filter?

The slimy substance on your sink drain filter is typically caused by the buildup of organic matter, such as food particles, grease, soap scum, and bacteria. These materials accumulate over time and create a biofilm that feels slimy to the touch.

Is the slimy substance harmful?

While the slimy substance itself is generally not harmful, it can be a breeding ground for bacteria and mold. If left uncleaned, it can lead to unpleasant odors and potential health risks, especially if pathogenic bacteria are present.

How can I prevent the slimy buildup on my sink drain filter?

To prevent slimy buildup, regularly clean your sink drain filter by removing it and scrubbing with a brush and mild detergent. Additionally, avoid pouring grease and large food particles down the drain, and consider using a sink strainer to catch debris before it enters the drain.

What should I use to clean the slimy substance off my sink drain filter?

You can clean the slimy substance off your sink drain filter using warm water, dish soap, and a scrub brush. For stubborn buildup, you can use a mixture of baking soda and vinegar, which helps to break down the organic matter and eliminate odors.

Can this slimy buildup cause any plumbing issues?

Yes, if the slimy buildup is not regularly cleaned, it can accumulate and potentially lead to clogs in your plumbing system. This can result in slow drainage or even complete blockages, which may require professional plumbing services to resolve.