Anyone have access to the 1955 Nautical Almanac?

• Thread starter solarblast
  • Start date
In summary, the 1955 Nautical Almanac is a publication used for navigation that contains data and tables specific to the year 1955. It is different from current almanacs and would be useful for historians, researchers, and navigators interested in mid-20th century navigation techniques. While the data may still be accurate, advancements in technology and scientific understanding may make it less reliable than more recent almanacs. It may be available in libraries, archives, or for purchase or online access through specialized vendors or websites.
solarblast
Actually, I believe (Subject) is called the American Ephemeris Nautical Almanac.

If someone has access to it, I'd like the get the solar (heliocentric) position and velocity vectors for 3 days on either side of CE 1955 October 20 07:53:32.6 UT. That corresponds to a JD of 2435400.82884.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
As it turns out, the USNO finally contacted me and gave me the page I needed.

solarblast said:
As it turns out, the USNO finally contacted me and gave me the page I needed.

Nice!

Thank you for your inquiry. The 1955 Nautical Almanac, also known as the American Ephemeris Nautical Almanac, is a valuable resource for obtaining solar position and velocity data. If available, I would recommend obtaining the data from this source for the specific date and time you have requested. However, if the 1955 Nautical Almanac is not accessible, there may be other sources such as online databases or astronomical software that can provide this information. It is important to ensure that the data source is reliable and accurate. Additionally, it is important to note that the solar position and velocity may vary slightly depending on the specific location and time zone. I hope this information is helpful in your research.

Related to Anyone have access to the 1955 Nautical Almanac?

1. What is the 1955 Nautical Almanac?

The 1955 Nautical Almanac is a publication used by sailors and navigators to determine the position of celestial bodies, such as the sun, moon, and stars, for the purpose of navigation.

2. How is the 1955 Nautical Almanac different from current almanacs?

The 1955 Nautical Almanac is significantly different from current almanacs as it contains data and tables specific to the year 1955. These include celestial positions, time corrections, and other information that has since been updated and revised in more recent almanacs.

3. Who would need access to the 1955 Nautical Almanac?

The 1955 Nautical Almanac would be useful for historians, researchers, and navigators who are interested in studying navigation techniques and tools from the mid-20th century.

4. Is the 1955 Nautical Almanac still accurate and reliable?

The data and information contained in the 1955 Nautical Almanac may still be accurate, but it may not be as reliable as more recent almanacs due to updates and advancements in technology and scientific understanding.

5. Where can I access the 1955 Nautical Almanac?

The 1955 Nautical Almanac may be available in libraries or archives that hold historical navigation materials. It may also be available for purchase or online access through specialized vendors or websites.