Anyone have experience finding money for school?

In summary: This is something you can check online.In summary, Evo suggests looking for scholarships and temporary work, and also finding an agency to help you find jobs.
Cake
Hey all. I'll be transferring to a four year university in the fall. Once I'm into wherever I go, I'll need to start looking for money in order to minimize the debt I accrue over my undergrad. I was wondering what experience any of you have in looking for support. I'm going to be getting a fair amount from the FAFSA since I'm an independent student and only claim my small amount of income, but I still have to account for probably around 9k a year (more or less) to attend. What resources and tactics would you suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make an interesting blog?
Crowd funding ?

Cake said:
Hey all. I'll be transferring to a four year university in the fall. Once I'm into wherever I go, I'll need to start looking for money in order to minimize the debt I accrue over my undergrad. I was wondering what experience any of you have in looking for support. I'm going to be getting a fair amount from the FAFSA since I'm an independent student and only claim my small amount of income, but I still have to account for probably around 9k a year (more or less) to attend. What resources and tactics would you suggest?

REU sites pay a small stipend, in addition to room and board. It has been a while since I looked, but I expect that the stipend is close to $5k for ten weeks in the summer. I used to tutor in a tutoring center. Some friends worked in the library. There are work-study positions that Departments have to give out, as well.

My girls took jobs, working at banks, at gas stations, at advertising companies, insurance agencies. Many jobs are easily obtained for college students by going to good temporary help agencies. They were good paying jobs in nice offices with flexible hours. They also tutored at the local community colleges, but those didn't make much money. Some of the jobs even had tuition reimbursement for making good grades.

Evo said:
My girls took jobs, working at banks, at gas stations, at advertising companies, insurance agencies. Many jobs are easily obtained for college students by going to good temporary help agencies. They were good paying jobs in nice offices with flexible hours. They also tutored at the local community colleges, but those didn't make much money. Some of the jobs even had tuition reimbursement for making good grades.
How do I apply for such jobs?

Meron said:
How do I apply for such jobs?
Go to a reputable temporary help agency, they will match you to available jobs, but these are in the US, I don't know about other countries.

Thank you Evo.

I guess I didn't specify but I already tutor for money. I was more interested in places to look for scholarships and such.

Most universities will have an office of financial assistance. One of the functions these provide is help with scholarships and bursaries. If you haven't already, it might be worth making an appointment at either your current school or the one you're transferring to. Also, in my experience, universities will publish a list of available scholarships and bursaries in their calendar.

Related to Anyone have experience finding money for school?

1. How can I find scholarships for school?

There are several ways to find scholarships for school. You can start by researching online databases and websites that list available scholarships. You can also check with your school's financial aid office, as they may have information about scholarships specific to your university. Additionally, you can reach out to professional organizations or community groups that offer scholarships. Finally, don't forget to ask your family, friends, and mentors if they know of any scholarship opportunities.

2. Are there any grants available for school?

Yes, there are grants available for school. Grants are typically need-based and do not need to be repaid. You can search for grants through online databases and your school's financial aid office. You may also be eligible for federal or state grants, depending on your financial situation. It's important to submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine your eligibility for grants.

3. Can I get financial aid for graduate school?

Yes, you can get financial aid for graduate school. Graduate students are eligible for federal loans, grants, and work-study programs. Additionally, many universities offer scholarships and assistantships specifically for graduate students. It's important to research and apply for financial aid early, as many programs have limited funding.

4. Is it worth applying for small scholarships?

Yes, it is worth applying for small scholarships. While the amount may seem insignificant, every little bit helps when it comes to paying for school. Additionally, smaller scholarships may have less competition, increasing your chances of receiving the award. It's important to take the time to apply for as many scholarships as possible, regardless of the amount.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting a scholarship?

There are several ways to improve your chances of getting a scholarship. First, make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements and submit a complete and error-free application. Additionally, try to stand out by highlighting your unique qualities, experiences, and achievements. It's also important to apply for scholarships early and to stay organized by keeping track of deadlines and requirements. Finally, don't be afraid to reach out to the scholarship provider for more information or to ask any questions you may have.