Anyone have experience working in/with Complex Systems?

In summary, Complex systems is a newer and interdisciplinary field that relies heavily on mathematical and computational modelling of complex systems such as ecosystems, stock markets, and weather. Santa Fe is currently leading the field, but there are newer departments emerging as well. Some physics grad students may have encounters with this field, and it may be an interesting route to explore in the future for those with a background in physics and a love for interdisciplinary learning. There are "Complex Systems Scientists" in this field, but it is also a field that other specialties may occasionally delve into. Northeastern University has a strong complex systems group, led by Barabasi, but as a first year grad student, there is not much information available about the research being done there.
H2Bro
Complex systems is somewhat of a newer/emerging field. I can't do a good job characterizing it, but it is quite interdisciplinary and relies on heavy mathematical and computational modelling of various... well, systems that are complex. (Anything from ecosystems, to stock markets, to weather).

I'm curious if any physics grad students have had encounters with this field? It seems like Santa Fe is leading the field, but they are not an actual grad school. There are some newer departments springing up here and there, however.

My current BSc in physics is fairly computationally intense, most classes have programming components. I'm also a big interdisciplinarian when it comes to learning, so I think CS might be an interesting route to explore in a few years time.

I'm curious if there are such things as "Complex Systems Scientists" or if this is just a field other specialties make an occasional foray into. Anybody that has experience with this field do share your knowledge, sorry if this post is vague, I'm really only just discovering it myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
H2Bro said:
Complex systems is somewhat of a newer/emerging field. I can't do a good job characterizing it, but it is quite interdisciplinary and relies on heavy mathematical and computational modelling of various... well, systems that are complex. (Anything from ecosystems, to stock markets, to weather).

I'm curious if any physics grad students have had encounters with this field? It seems like Santa Fe is leading the field, but they are not an actual grad school. There are some newer departments springing up here and there, however.

My current BSc in physics is fairly computationally intense, most classes have programming components. I'm also a big interdisciplinarian when it comes to learning, so I think CS might be an interesting route to explore in a few years time.

I'm curious if there are such things as "Complex Systems Scientists" or if this is just a field other specialties make an occasional foray into. Anybody that has experience with this field do share your knowledge, sorry if this post is vague, I'm really only just discovering it myself.

My school, Northeastern, has a fairly strong complex systems group, headed by Barabasi (one of the founders of the field). However, as a first year grad student, I'm too busy drowning in coursework to tell you much about the research done here.

Related to Anyone have experience working in/with Complex Systems?

1. What is a complex system?

A complex system is a system that is made up of many interconnected and interacting components, which exhibit emergent behavior that cannot be predicted by analyzing the individual components alone. Examples of complex systems include ecosystems, the human brain, and the global economy.

2. What types of skills are needed to work with complex systems?

Working with complex systems requires a combination of technical skills, such as mathematical modeling, data analysis, and computer programming, as well as soft skills like critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. It also requires a deep understanding of the specific complex system being studied.

3. What are the challenges of working with complex systems?

One of the main challenges of working with complex systems is that they are highly unpredictable and can exhibit unexpected behaviors. This makes it difficult to design effective interventions or make accurate predictions. Additionally, complex systems are often difficult to study due to their large scale and the interdependence of their components.

4. How can studying complex systems benefit society?

Studying complex systems can help us better understand and manage real-world problems and phenomena. For example, studying complex systems can help us predict and mitigate the effects of climate change, improve healthcare systems, and design more efficient transportation networks.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when working with complex systems?

Yes, there are ethical considerations when working with complex systems. Some complex systems, such as human societies, involve studying human behavior and decision-making, which raises ethical concerns about privacy and consent. Additionally, interventions in complex systems can have unintended consequences, so ethical considerations should be taken into account when designing and implementing interventions.