Anyone know about the bolide across the Gulf Coast Fri July 14, 2023?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the importance of time management and how it can help individuals achieve their goals and improve their productivity. The participants discussed different strategies for managing time effectively and shared personal experiences of how it has benefited them in their personal and professional lives. They also emphasized the need for setting priorities and avoiding distractions in order to make the most of one's time.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I didn't see that one, but a couple weeks before that I saw a particularly long lasting fireball in the same general area, longer lasting than I've ever seen for a meteor. I've wondered since whether it was a meteor or a satellite/rocket re-entering.

Related to Anyone know about the bolide across the Gulf Coast Fri July 14, 2023?

What is a bolide?

A bolide is a large meteor that explodes in the atmosphere, often with a bright flash and loud noise. It is typically brighter than the planet Venus in the sky, and the explosion can sometimes be heard or felt as a shockwave.

Where exactly was the bolide observed on July 14, 2023?

The bolide on July 14, 2023, was observed across the Gulf Coast, with reports coming from various locations including parts of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. The exact trajectory and impact area, if any, are usually determined by further analysis from observational data.

What caused the bolide to explode in the atmosphere?

A bolide explodes in the atmosphere due to the immense pressure and heat generated as it travels at high speeds through the Earth's atmosphere. The rapid compression of air in front of the meteor causes it to heat up and eventually explode if it is large enough.

Was there any damage or injuries reported from the bolide event?

As of now, there have been no reports of significant damage or injuries resulting from the bolide event on July 14, 2023. Such events are usually more of a spectacular visual and auditory phenomenon rather than a cause of harm, although they can sometimes result in minor damage if fragments reach the ground.

How often do bolide events occur?

Bolide events are relatively rare but not unheard of. Smaller meteors enter the Earth's atmosphere daily, but large bolides that create significant explosions are less frequent, occurring a few times a year worldwide. The visibility and impact of such events depend on various factors including the size of the meteor and the location of the event.