AP Calc BC Exam Help: Taylor/Maclaurin, Errors & Lagrange

• Thread starter Noober
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of series, specifically Taylor and Maclaurin series, errors, and Lagrange's theorem, in preparation for an upcoming AP Calc BC exam. The person seeking help needs to know how to expand Maclaurin series using derivatives and the common Taylor series for various functions, as well as understand series convergence and divergence tests and applications of differential equations. They are advised to refer to their textbook and a specific online resource for further clarification.
Noober
I have an AP Calc BC exam this wednesday, and I know pretty much nothing about series (specifically Taylor/Maclaurin, errors, and some Lagrange thingy). If anyone has taken this exam, can you help me? What do we have to know about those things for the test? Which formulas do we have to know? And, what the hell is Lagrange?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to know how to expand the Maclaurin series about (x-a) using derivatives, and the common taylor series for sin x, cos x, ln x, e^x, and geometric series. You also need Lagrange error and series convergence and divergence tests, specifically the integral test, p-test, alternating series test, and nth term test. Also population growth and logrithmic growth using differential equations

Dbjergaard said:
You have to know how to expand the Maclaurin series about (x-a) using derivatives

Technically that would be the Taylor series about the point a, a Maclaurin series is specifically a Taylor series abou zero.

You might want to look these things up in your textbook.

Dbjergaard said:
You have to know how to expand the Maclaurin series about (x-a) using derivatives, and the common taylor series for sin x, cos x, ln x, e^x, and geometric series. You also need Lagrange error and series convergence and divergence tests, specifically the integral test, p-test, alternating series test, and nth term test. Also population growth and logrithmic growth using differential equations
Alright, thanks.

HallsofIvy said:
You might want to look these things up in your textbook.
The series stuff in my textbook is confusing and unorganized, so it doesn't help that much :/.

Sorry, I mixed up taylor and mclaurin series

I'd be surprised if you could find something better than this online. http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/AllBrowsers/2414/Seq_Series.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: AP Calc BC Exam Help: Taylor/Maclaurin, Errors & Lagrange

1. What is a Taylor/Maclaurin series?

A Taylor/Maclaurin series is a mathematical representation of a function using an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a particular point, by using the derivatives of the function at that point.

2. How do I find the Taylor/Maclaurin series of a function?

To find the Taylor/Maclaurin series of a function, you need to take the derivatives of the function at a specific point, and substitute these values into the general formula for the series. The general formula is: f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)/2!)(x-a)^2 + (f'''(a)/3!)(x-a)^3 + ... + (f^(n)(a)/n!)(x-a)^n.

3. What is the Lagrange error bound?

The Lagrange error bound is a formula used to estimate the error in using a Taylor polynomial to approximate a function. It is given by the formula: Rn(x) = f^(n+1)(c)(x-a)^(n+1)/(n+1)!, where c is a value between the original point, a, and the point at which the approximation is being made, x.

4. How do I use the Lagrange error bound?

To use the Lagrange error bound, you need to first find the value of c that satisfies the given conditions, and then calculate the value of Rn(x). This value will give you an estimate of the error in using the Taylor polynomial to approximate the function at the given point, x.

5. Can the Taylor/Maclaurin series be used for any function?

The Taylor/Maclaurin series can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable at the given point, a. This means that the function must have a continuous derivative of all orders at that point. If this condition is not met, the Taylor/Maclaurin series will not provide an accurate approximation of the function.