[AP News] Hundreds of dolphins wash up in Zanzibar

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, marine biologists are trying to determine the cause of death for approximately 400 bottlenose dolphins that washed up on a beach in Zanzibar. One possible explanation being examined is the impact of U.S. Navy sonar, though others such as changes in water temperature and salinity are also being considered. Some experts also believe that an illness may have contributed to the dolphins' deaths. There is also speculation that loud motorboat engines could have played a role. Further research is needed to determine the cause of this tragic event.
Mk
ZANZIBAR, Tanzania - Scientists tried to discover Saturday why hundreds of dolphins washed up dead on a beach popular with tourists on the northern coast of Zanzibar.

Among other possibilities, marine biologists were examining whether U.S. Navy sonar threw the animals off course.

Villagers and fishermen were burying the remains of the roughly 400 bottlenose dolphins, which normally live in deep offshore waters but washed up Friday along a 2 1/2-mile stretch of coast in Tanzania's Indian Ocean archipelago.
They always say its the U.S. Navy's fault for sonar throwing them off course. I don't know much about the subject but I think that is a bunch of BS. Why couldn't have had happen, and why could that be the cause? I personally think it might have to do with rapid changes in water temperature and/or salinity, but again, I don't have any knowledge in this area.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2631&ncid=2631&e=39&u=/ap/20060430/ap_on_sc/tanzania_dolphin_deaths_6

Someone probably has a geographical database of beaching. They still have no idea how the whale managed to get up the Thames?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
If they washed up dead rather than alive, I'd be more suspicious of an illness of some sort.

As far as sounds, sonar can throw them off, but so can the motors on motorboats. I saw a poster presenting results of a study on this a few years ago when visiting an aquarium affiliated with a marine research station.

It is understandable to question the initial assumption that the U.S. Navy's sonar caused the dolphins to wash up on the beach in Zanzibar. As you mentioned, there could be other factors at play such as changes in water temperature and salinity. It is important for scientists to thoroughly investigate and consider all possible causes in order to accurately determine the cause of these dolphin deaths. Additionally, it is worth noting that beachings have occurred in various parts of the world, including the Thames, and it is important to continue studying these events in order to better understand and prevent them.

Related to [AP News] Hundreds of dolphins wash up in Zanzibar

1. What could have caused the mass stranding of dolphins in Zanzibar?

There are several factors that could have contributed to the mass stranding of dolphins in Zanzibar. Some possible causes include navigation errors, illness or disease, extreme weather events, noise pollution, or human interference.

2. How many dolphins were affected by this event?

According to reports, hundreds of dolphins were found washed up on the shores of Zanzibar. The exact number is still being determined as rescue efforts continue.

3. What is being done to help the stranded dolphins?

Local authorities and volunteers are working together to rescue and rehabilitate the stranded dolphins. This includes providing medical care, rehydrating the dolphins, and helping them back into deeper waters.

4. Is this a common occurrence in Zanzibar?

No, mass strandings of dolphins are not common in Zanzibar. This is a rare and concerning event that requires immediate attention and action.

5. What can be done to prevent future dolphin strandings in Zanzibar?

In order to prevent future dolphin strandings, it is important to address the potential causes and take steps to mitigate them. This could include reducing noise pollution in the ocean, implementing stricter regulations on human activities in dolphin habitats, and monitoring dolphin populations for signs of illness or injury.