AP physics b free response questions

In summary, the task is to develop a procedure to determine the uniform acceleration and an approximate value of time for the uniform acceleration for a world-class runner completing a 100 m dash. The experiment will involve a straight track and the entire class of eleven students. The process of data analysis involves measuring and recording the time the runner passes each student, and then using these times to determine the uniform acceleration and acceleration time. Factors such as error analysis should also be considered in the experiment.
le123

Homework Statement

A world-class runner can complete a 100 m dash in about 10 s. Past studies have shown that runners in such a race accelerate uniformly for a time tu and then run at constant speed for the remainder of the race. A world-class runner is visiting your physics class. You are to develop a procedure that will allow you to determine the uniform acceleration au and an approximate value of tu for the runner in a 100 m dash. By necessity your experiment will be done on a straight track and include your whole class of eleven students.

c. Outline the process of data analysis, including how you will identify the portion of the race that has uniform acceleration, and how you would calculate the uniform acceleration.

Homework Equations

x=1/2 a(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation above, but I'm not exactly sure how to explain the process of data analysis or how to identify the portion that has uniform acceleration

I'm not actually supposed to solve the equation, I just have to describe how you would go about solving it by using a description defining all variables being used, description showing how the needed variables (acceleration or final velocity) will be determined, and a transformation of the description into equation form

The thing that I am having trouble with is explaining my answer. I have to include all of the information above^^^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, is that all the information you are given?

You could find an average acceleration until the race is over, or an average velocity, but I don't think you can find what you are asking based on just the above information.

Maybe I'm wrong and missing something or overcomplicating it, but check to see if anything else was given.

This is not a "normal" physics problem - you don't answer this question by plugging things into equations and solving for them. They're testing your knowledge of experimental design. So your answer should address things like what quantities you'll need to measure, how and when you will measure them, and how you can use the values you measure to determine the desired result.

You should probably also include some sort of error analysis: try to identify the factors that could introduce inaccuracies into your measurements, and comment on how those inaccuracies might affect the final result.

"include whole class of 11 students."

I think this is a key statement. I would spread the students out along the track with synchronized watches. Then each student would write down the time that the runner passed them.

If you do that, can you describe how you would use the times to come up with the acceleration time and the amount of acceleration?

EDIT:

Doh, I misread what he was required to do. My mistake.

Cheers

Related to AP physics b free response questions

1. What is the format of an AP physics b free response question?

The AP physics b free response questions usually consist of two parts - a multiple choice section and a free response section. The free response section includes 5-7 questions that require written answers and problem solving.

2. How long do I have to complete the free response section of the AP physics b exam?

You have 90 minutes to complete the free response section of the AP physics b exam. This time includes reading and planning your answers, as well as writing them.

3. What topics are covered in the AP physics b free response questions?

The AP physics b free response questions cover a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, waves and optics, and modern physics. It is important to have a thorough understanding of all these topics to do well on the exam.

4. How are the AP physics b free response questions graded?

The free response questions on the AP physics b exam are graded by trained and experienced teachers and college professors. They use a rubric to award points for correct answers and partial credit for partially correct answers. The total score for the free response section is out of 50 points.

5. What is the best way to prepare for the AP physics b free response questions?

The best way to prepare for the AP physics b free response questions is to practice and review regularly. Make sure you understand the concepts and formulas, and practice solving problems similar to those in the exam. It is also helpful to review past free response questions and their solutions to get a better understanding of the format and types of questions that may be asked.