AP Physics: Momentum & Springs

In summary: Yes, ##v(t)=- \omega xsin(\omega t)## when you take the phase constant to be zero. So what you said originally was true, the maximum speed in this motion occurs when the acceleration is zero, as well as when the displacement from equilibrium is the same. (Also applies for the min!) ##V_{max/min}= \pm \omega A## depending on the direction of oscillation ##V_{max}= \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} x## depending on your coordinate system choosen.
Thomas Brown
1. A mass M is connected to a wall by an ideal spring. The mass is on a frictionless surface. The mass is pushed toward the wall, compressing the spring by a distance X. Use the impulse-momentum theorem to demonstrate that the mass will reach a maximum velocity of X * (K / M)^1/2.

2. J = delta P, P = MV

3. J = delta P
Fn * t = MV - 0
-kx * t = MV What is t supposed to be? How can I finish this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas Brown said:
1. A mass M is connected to a wall by an ideal spring. The mass is on a frictionless surface. The mass is pushed toward the wall, compressing the spring by a distance X. Use the impulse-momentum theorem to demonstrate that the mass will reach a maximum velocity of X * (K / M)^1/2.

2. J = delta P, P = MV

3. J = delta P
Fn * t = MV - 0
-kx * t = MV What is t supposed to be? How can I finish this problem?
What is ##\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}## and what would the question wanting the maximum imply?

Student100 said:
What is ##\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}## and what would the question wanting the maximum imply?
I see that delta V / delta T would be the acceleration and that the velocity would be greatest when acceleration is zero (maximum) but if I divide both sides by delta T I end up with:
-kx = m dV/dT
-kx = ma
Fn = ma
And I'm not really sure what I could do next...

Thomas Brown said:
I see that delta V / delta T would be the acceleration and that the velocity would be greatest when acceleration is zero (maximum) but if I divide both sides by delta T I end up with:
-kx = m dV/dT
-kx = ma
Fn = ma
And I'm not really sure what I could do next...

So you have ##a=\frac{-kx}{m}## or ##a={w^2}{x}##, is this looking familiar?

I think I got it but can you please verify? I know that a = w^2 x is the acceleration in SHM, so I integrated the A(t) formula to get V(t) = xw * sin(wt) and velocity is greatest when sin(wt) = 1 so the maximum velocity is xw, or v = x * (k / m)^1/2.

Thomas Brown said:
I think I got it but can you please verify? I know that a = w^2 x is the acceleration in SHM, so I integrated the A(t) formula to get V(t) = xw * sin(wt) and velocity is greatest when sin(wt) = 1 so the maximum velocity is xw, or v = x * (k / m)^1/2.

Yes, ##v(t)=- \omega xsin(\omega t)## when you take the phase constant to be zero. So what you said originally was true, the maximum speed in this motion occurs when the acceleration is zero, as well as when the displacement from equilibrium is the same. (Also applies for the min!) ##V_{max/min}= \pm \omega A## depending on the direction of oscillation ##V_{max}= \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} x## depending on your coordinate system choosen.

Is this the best way to show what you wanted to show? I can't think of another way from the impulse-momentum theorem off the top of my head, but looks good to me.

Likes Thomas Brown
Yup, this makes sense! Thanks for your help!

Related to AP Physics: Momentum & Springs

1. What is momentum in AP Physics?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In AP Physics, momentum is often represented by the symbol "p" and is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg m/s).

2. How is momentum conserved in AP Physics?

In AP Physics, momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of the system remains constant over time. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. It states that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum before an event must equal the total momentum after the event.

3. What is a spring constant in AP Physics?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the symbol "k" and is measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m). In AP Physics, the spring constant is used to calculate the force exerted by a spring, as well as the potential energy stored in the spring.

4. How does Hooke's Law relate to springs in AP Physics?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This relationship is expressed mathematically as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. In AP Physics, this law is used to analyze the behavior of springs in various situations.

5. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in AP Physics?

In elastic collisions, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before the collision must equal the total momentum and total kinetic energy after the collision. In inelastic collisions, only momentum is conserved, and some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. In AP Physics, understanding the type of collision is important in analyzing the conservation of momentum in a system.