AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question

In summary, adjusting the tension in a guitar string will affect the speed of the traveling wave that creates the pattern. It is unclear if the frequency or wavelength of the standing wave will also change as a result.
ShamTheCandle
A standing wave pattern is created on a guitar string as a person tunes the guitar by changing the tension in the string. Which of the following properties of the waves on the string will change as a result of adjusting only the tension in the string?

1) Speed of the traveling wave that creates the pattern
2) Frequency of the standing wave
3) Wavelength of the standing wave

A) 1 only
B) 2 only
C) 1 and 2 only
D) 2 and 3 only
E) 1, 2 and 3

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what do you think?

diazona said:
Well what do you think?

I think that 1) is true, because as you increase Tension, velocity should increase since the formula v=(F/(m/L))^(1/2) for the standing waves. However, I don't know whether frequency increases or wavelength as a result, or both... I don't understand this concept very well.

FAQ: AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question

1. What is the format of the AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question?

The AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question format consists of a stem, which is the question or incomplete statement, followed by four answer choices, labeled A, B, C, and D. Students must select the best answer out of the four choices.

2. How many questions are on the AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question section?

The AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question section consists of 50 questions, which must be completed within 90 minutes. This section makes up 50% of the overall AP Physics exam score.

3. What topics are covered on the AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question section?

The AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question section covers a variety of topics, including kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and electricity and magnetism. It also includes questions on graphing, data analysis, and experimental design.

4. Can calculators be used on the AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question section?

Yes, calculators are allowed on the AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question section. However, only certain types of calculators are permitted, and they must be cleared by the College Board. It is important to check the list of approved calculators before the exam.

5. How can I prepare for the AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question section?

To prepare for the AP Physics Multiple Choice Concept Question section, it is important to review key concepts and formulas, practice solving different types of problems, and familiarize yourself with the format of the questions. It can also be helpful to take practice exams and seek additional help from teachers or tutors if needed.